Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Carolus
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Carlo

Licensing in DR site

Post by Carolus »

Hi all, I would like to submit a question about licensing.

In an infrastructure where:

Site1 :

Veeam B&R installation licensed to manage 5 esx hosts with backup in local and backup copy to a storage in Site 2

Site 2: ANOTHER Veeam installation licensed to manage others 5esx hosts with backup in local and backup copy to a storage in Site1

Site 1 goes down, i'm going to import backup copies generated by installation 1 into site 2 installation; how installation 2 can manage/restore backup copies of site 1? Is possible to insert esx hosts license of site 1 in site 2 installation? Will be able site2 installation to manage/restore backup copies of site 1 since it doesn't "know" any server of site1?

Many thanks for the support

C.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Licensing in DR site

Post by foggy »

Carlo, second Veeam B&R instance can be used to import and restore backups created by the first instance, no issues here. If you're talking about backing up those VMs after restoring them onto ESXi hosts in site 2, then no additional license is required, since Veeam B&R is licensed by the number of sockets in the source hosts (you can backup/replicate any number of VMs residing on the licensed host).
Carolus
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Carlo

Post by Carolus »

Many thanks for the reply foggy; i was wondering about the backup mapping: doesn't 2nd istance a mapping for the imported backups? They need to be associated with an "entity" on vmware or you can just specify hosts/datastore where to restore to?

Best regards

C.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can just specify host/datastore for restore, backups are not tied to any specific vSphere entity.