Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dallaria
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: A.Dallari

Feature Request: Exclude/Skip Backup from remote WAN

Post by dallaria » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
we started testing Veeam Endpoint on some of our users notebook.
As we have a lot of employee travelling around our companies and all companies are connected trough a company Wan, the main problem we have at the moment is to avoid endpoint backup start when people is outside original Lan.
Would be possible to add to the "Global Network Traffic Rules" a flag to exclude/skip backup Jobs based on the source/destination ip?
Same problem when users connect to the company from home using VPn Client software.

Thanks a lot
A.Dallari
justingoldberg
Influencer
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Re: Feature Request: Exclude/Skip Backup from remote WAN

Post by justingoldberg » 1 person likes this post

You could script this to only use certain gateways :

If ( (ipconfig /all | findstr -I gateway) == "gateway 10.0.0.1" or "(ipconfig /all | findstr -I "gateway 192.168.1.1) )

The only issue with this is you'll have to see the routers mac addresses. I'm posting this from my phone and don't have access to a computer to check if ipconfig shows this. But a pinging of the gateway followed by ARP should show this.

Sorry I'm not a powershell guru yet
--
justingoldberg
Influencer
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

Ok, here's some starter code:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\shop>ipconfig /all | findstr -i gateway
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
I'm looking into the powershell way of doing this since VBF is a powershell'erific product.
--
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Besides doing scripting as Justin proposes, the only thing we offer at this moment is to exclude the backup over a metered connection. But that means that your machine needs to detect that it is a metered connection or be "told" that it is a metered connection. This is an option starting from windows 8.

If your backups are stored on the Veeam Backup & Replication server (integration...) then you will be able to work with global network traffic rules...

Mike
ara686
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jiří Arazim

Post by ara686 » 2 people like this post

Helo,

we had a same problem and solved this by setup firewall rule on backup server (port 10001) block from all, and allow only from networks where we can do backup. For now we block all WAN ips and VPN ips.
For this it is good if you have setup "At storage attach" on VEB client.

Regards

Jirka