Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Backup to tape best practice and supportability ?

Post by albertwt »

People,

Can anyone here please share the KB article or any other link which explains what is the best practice for writing Veeam Backup files .VBK and .VIB to the tape drive ?
using Veeam software or different 3rd party software.

Because I'm having a problem that is hard to resolve in writing the Backup Copy job repository content into the tape drive using 3rd party application (Symantec Backup Exec).

Note: I'm using Veeam Backup v8.0 Patch 2 and the backup to tape with Symantec is always end up in failed due to Symantec cannot get hold of the file (corruption).
But last year when I was still using Veeam Backup v6.5 and v7.0 everything went smoothly with no issue at all until I upgraded to Veeam Backup v8.0 and now in Patch 2 still failed consistently in writing it to tape drive.

Case # 00911739
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Re: Backup to tape best practice and supportability ?

Post by albertwt »

Is there any change in how Veeam behave in the new version 8.0 in doing Backup Copy ?

or do I have to attach the tape library to the main Veeam Backup repository server instead of the Backup Copy repository now in version 8.0 ?
--
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assign tape server role to the repository the backup copy job is pointed to. Create a backup to tape job, selecting the backup copy job as its source. Make sure to schedule virtual full backup, so that, full backup is created directly on tapes on regular basis.
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

v.Eremin wrote:Assign tape server role to the repository the backup copy job is pointed to. Create a backup to tape job, selecting the backup copy job as its source. Make sure to schedule virtual full backup, so that, full backup is created directly on tapes on regular basis.
OK, so in this case, can I still use the Backup Copy repository as the source for the tape backup job ?
--
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Correct. Either particular job or whole repository can be selected as source for a backup to tape job.