Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
paaglo
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Paal Glorvigen

Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medi

Post by paaglo »

Hey.
I`ve got some issues with Veeam B&R v. 8 (8.0.0.2021).
When I start a backup to tape job that needs more than one tape, I`ll get this error message: "Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medium Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".
I thougth this was fixed in build 2021 (ref. http://forums.veeam.com/tape-f29/start- ... 26073.html), but apparently not.

Any idea on when this will be fixed?

B&R v 8.0.0.2021
HP MSL G3 Series 7.80.

Hoping for some good news :)

Regards
Paal
Regards,
Paal
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape

Post by veremin »

Are you using multipath to your device, as well? What's your case number?
paaglo
Novice

Post by paaglo »

I`m not using multipath on the tapelibrary.
And I`ve not contacted support yet.
Would you recomend me to contact support?

Regards, Paal
Regards,
Paal
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paal,
Since you received an error it’s recommended to open a support case, so please do and post here the case ID for tracking purposes. Thanks.
paaglo
Novice

Post by paaglo » 2 people like this post

Fixed!
Our tapelibrary does not use multipath, all backup to tape goes over ethernet.
What`s strange to me is this:
The HP MSL tapelibrary had 2 fiberports connected that was not in use (but still connected).
When we tried backup to tape from Veeam, we got this error message: "Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medium Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Then we disconnected the fiberports in the HP MSL tapelibrary, and all went fine.

Thanks to v.eremin and dima p for trying to help!

Regards,
Paal
Regards,
Paal
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paal,

Thanks for the sharing the solution with the community. I am glad to hear you are up and running now!
Jeroenix
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeroen van Drongelen

Post by Jeroenix »

I had the same issue which popped up suddenly, but probably after a firmware and driver upgrade on the VeeAm host server. Tape inventories, format operations and backups all failed after a random number of the library's tape changes. Firmware update of library and LTO didn't help.

With inventory operations I noticed that VeeAm mounted a tape and while it was inventorying, tried to mount another tape, and another, and another, which all failed.

We use SAS cabling, and in our case there are two cables (merged into one port) going from library to the host's controller. Windows' device manager showed two instances of our MSL2024 library and two instances of the library's LTO5 drive (we have only one MSL2024 changer with one LTO5 drive fitted). After disabling one of each in Device Manager, everything worked again.

It's strange, because we also have a Microsoft Data Protection Manager server with the same equipment. The Device Manager on that server also shows the devices in duplicate, but DPM has never had any trouble with it. Nor does the HP tape utility, that can diagnose the library's robotics. It seems a VeeAm thing. Don't know about version 9 though, we have version 8 (2084).