Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marama
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marama

Make use of multiple WAN connections

Post by marama »

We have 2 uplinks in the office, one is 16 Mbit/s, the other one is 10 Mbit/s. On DR site it's only one downlink with 75 Mbit/s.
Currently, for Veeam WAN backup copy jobs, we are using only the 16 Mbit/s link, but I'd like to make use of the other one as well.
I guess I could set up a 2nd VM and 2nd proxy and 2nd accelerator on the DR site... but is there a way of achieving it with only one proxy/accelerator?
TIA
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Make use of multiple WAN connections

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marama,
Do you want to use 2 links for the same job or you just asking if you can use one WAN accelerator for 2 links?
Have you considered link aggregation techniques, like NIC teaming?
Thanks.
marama
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marama

Post by marama »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Marama,
Do you want to use 2 links for the same job or you just asking if you can use one WAN accelerator for 2 links?
Have you considered link aggregation techniques, like NIC teaming?
Thanks.
Hi Shestakov!

I wouldn't want to mess with LAGG as the links are of completely different types.

No need to have the multiple links for the same job. I have some 8 backup copy WAN jobs, so if I could get some of them use the 2nd link - I'd be happy because currently I get only 1 offsite copy job processed at a time (due to WAN accelerator limit I guess).

Currently, we have a VPN tunnel between the sites, and the tunnel uses only the main uplink. So if I would want to use a second link I'd have to use a VPN-less communication, but that should be fine if I check the "encrypt traffic" checkbox, right? Any potential risks involved?

As I understand it, I would then need to set up an additional Proxy+WAN VM on target site (utilizing the other link) in order to be able to have 2 WAN-accelerator jobs run at the same time, right? Is the WAN-Accel limit on source or on target side? If there's a limit on source as well, then I'd need a 2nd source proxy, too.

Bye
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

marama wrote:Currently, we have a VPN tunnel between the sites, and the tunnel uses only the main uplink. So if I would want to use a second link I'd have to use a VPN-less communication, but that should be fine if I check the "encrypt traffic" checkbox, right? Any potential risks involved?
Yes, all traffic is encrypted, no additional risks.
marama wrote:As I understand it, I would then need to set up an additional Proxy+WAN VM on target site (utilizing the other link) in order to be able to have 2 WAN-accelerator jobs run at the same time, right? Is the WAN-Accel limit on source or on target side? If there's a limit on source as well, then I'd need a 2nd source proxy, too.
Not really. Backup proxy can handle several jobs concurrently, but yes, you`ll need another wan accelerator. You can also leverage Many to One WAN Acceleration technique to make global cache used by several source WAN accelerators simultaneously.
Thanks.