Management reporting and documentation
PANinjaTech
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stuart Burrows

Track Migration of VMs to a different Host

Post by PANinjaTech »

Hi All,

I'm trying to configure a report when I can find out if a certain set of VM's have moved Host in the last 90 days. I have been using the "Infrastructure Changes By Object" report to poll this information, but this seems to be lacking a filter to allow me to only report on a pre-defined set of VMs and instead I am being provided with a report on ALL of the VMs in my environment.

I have also tried to create a custom report to poll this information where I have used the following columns (Name; Host System; Last Modified) and then manually setting the exceptions to only include the VMs I need. This works well, but it only gives me the current Host and not the previous Host. Therefore, it is difficult for me to ascertain if the Date Modified represents the date the VM was created OR the date it was migrated from another Host.

This would be most helpful if there was a way I could filter the "Infrastructure Changes by Object" report to allow me to choose the VMs to report on as this report has all the information I need (Previous Host; New Host; Date Modified etc.)

Thank you guys! :mrgreen:
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Track Migration of VMs to a different Host

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Stuart,
You can choose not all infrastructure, but particular hosts where desired VMs are running.
Or even better, you can create a group of desired VMs in Business View and choose the group as a scope in the report.
Thanks!
PANinjaTech
Novice

Post by PANinjaTech »

That's brilliant - thank you.

Do you know what parameters I would need to set if I wanted to know if a VM had migrated between hosts? I had been using the VM; Host and Last Modified fields but I'm not sure this is providing me with the correct information for what I need it for.

I'm concerned this is providing me with any changes made on the VM and not specifically the change in Host.

Does that make sense?
PANinjaTech
Novice

Post by PANinjaTech »

Thank you for all your help but I found a way around the problem :)

By loading up the event viewer in VEEAM ONE Monitor client, I was able to manually search and exract the data I needed and then cross reference it.

This confirmed that the information generated by VEEAM ONE Reporter was NOT correct.

Many thanks again :mrgreen:
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Stuart,
You can also create an event-based alarm to be notified once the migration is happened.
PANinjaTech wrote:This confirmed that the information generated by VEEAM ONE Reporter was NOT correct.
Could you elaborate on that, please? Thanks!