Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fast_cat
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe

Post by fast_cat »

What does process veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe do on my Veeam B&R server ?

It seems to generate a query on the backend SQL database that can have quite an impact on the SQL server performance - example of query below -

SELECT left_id, right_id FROM [VeeamBCK4].[dbo].[WmiServer.VmInBackupToVmAssociationView] WHERE left_id = xxxxxx

What is the process and what is it generally trying to do ?

regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This process is used to integrate Veeam B&R with Veeam ONE and Veeam MP. What version of Veeam B&R are you at?
fast_cat
Influencer

Post by fast_cat »

Veeam ONE is 8.0.0.1669
Veeam B&R is 7.0.0.871

One example of the query is this -

SELECT left_id, right_id FROM [VeeamBCK4].[dbo].[WmiServer.VmInBackupToVmAssociationView] WHERE left_id = xxxxxx

this then seems to imply that there are lots of reads on the Backup.Model.OIB table

NOTE: I am planning to upgrade Veeam B&R to v 8 soon.

regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, upgrading to Veeam B&R v8 Update 2 is a good idea, since as far as I remember there were a couple of changes in the code to lower the load on the CPU and SQL Server while querying data.
fast_cat
Influencer

Post by fast_cat »

Ok, so all Veeam B&R servers (5) at version 8 update 2 and still seeing high CPU on the SQL DB server, traced back to the Veeam.Backup.wmiserver.exe process running on each B&R server

It seems that this is used when Veeam B&R servers are also in Veeam ONE Monitor. If I remove Veeam B&R servers from Veeam ONE monitor then the CPU load on the SQL DB server drops dramatically.

The query attributed to this is -

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT * FROM [WmiServer.VmsView] WHERE id = @p0',N'@p0 uniqueidentifier',@p0='D08E9104-C403-4EE7-A538-B4DDCFB53F24'
go
exec sp_executesql N'SELECT o.[id] AS left_id, h.[id] AS right_id FROM [dbo].[BObjects] o, [dbo].[WmiServer.HostsView] h WHERE o.[host_id] = h.[id] AND ((o.[platform] = 0 AND o.[viobject_type] = N''VirtualMachine'') OR (o.[platform] = 1 AND o.[type] = 1) OR (o.[platform] = 4 AND o.[type] = 4) ) AND o.[id] = @p0',N'@p0 uniqueidentifier',@p0='D08E9104-C403-4EE7-A538-B4DDCFB53F24'
go
exec sp_executesql N'SELECT * FROM [WmiServer.VmsView] WHERE id = @p0',N'@p0 uniqueidentifier',@p0='4D873D19-6178-4DC6-8219-D5DC1E91FCAA'
go
exec sp_executesql N'SELECT o.[id] AS left_id, h.[id] AS right_id FROM [dbo].[BObjects] o, [dbo].[WmiServer.HostsView] h WHERE o.[host_id] = h.[id] AND ((o.[platform] = 0 AND o.[viobject_type] = N''VirtualMachine'') OR (o.[platform] = 1 AND o.[type] = 1) OR (o.[platform] = 4 AND o.[type] = 4) ) AND o.[id] = @p0',N'@p0 uniqueidentifier',@p0='4D873D19-6178-4DC6-8219-D5DC1E91FCAA'
go

It is the Vmiserver.Vmsview function which apparently uses scalar functions which also call other scalar functions.. in particular - [fn.IsRootHost].

I am told by my DBAs who have looked into this issue that scalar functions in SQL can be a bad thing for performance.

As a workaround to reduce the load on my SQL DB server I have removed the Veeam B&R servers from Veeam ONE monitor.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour with B&R servers in Veeam ONe monitor ?