Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Sprite
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

Necessary to re-set CBT on all VMs?

Post by Sprite »

Hi

I have just upgraded to v8 veeam and will patch to update 2 soon. We run vsphere 5.0

In the Veeam release notes for veeam update 8, the advice suggests that I Reset CBT for all VMs in the environment [point 11 for the B&R upgrade] with reference to veeam KB1940, which in turn references Vmware KB2090639.

My query being, is it necesary to re-set CBT for all VMs if they have not had disks extended beyond the 128GB boundaries (and 256 GB, 512 GB, etc.)

I have only two VMs to which we have extended disks to beyond 128GB, whereby CBT may become unreliable unless we reset. Our esxi server have not been patch against this issue.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Phil
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Necessary to re-set CBT on all VMs?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Phil, if you're positive only those two VMs have disks that were previously extended, it is not necessary to reset CBT on other VMs.
Sprite
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

Post by Sprite »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am positive, because with the exception of the two VMs, no other volumes exceed 128GB... I guess the upgrade guide suggests this is a necessary part of process for all VMs without stipulating any possible exceptions - and i wanted to santity check this.

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is suggested for general cases, where you cannot be confident that some of the VMs have not been resized back in the past and might have corrupt CBT data associated with them.