Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Replication Scenario

Post by rogerdu »

I have been asked to research various solutions for DR and Replication for a customer who has Veeam in their environment. While the documentation shows the scenarios I would like to use, in doing due diligence, I wanted to know if a potential solution is viable. From the documentation, the following is a standard configuration for a replication scenario:

In this case, the WAN link is a 1GB/s MAN. In a true DR scenario, I will not have access to the Veeam backup server (left side) so I am wondering what is the possibility of having a second backup server at the DR site as in the image below:

If this works, what are the requirements with respect to licensing, and the relationship between the primary site (left side) and the DR site (right side). Also, the DR site will house offsite backups as well as being the target for Replication as there are various RTO targets ranging from 15 minutes to 1 week recovery times and a requirement for offsite backups.

Thanks in advance

Roger
rogerdu
Expert

Re: Replication Scenario

Post by rogerdu »

Now, I'm thinking that this might be viable as well... The source and destination while geographically separate are gigabit connected, so if the Veeam server is at the remote site and the source VMware cluster is at the local site, it should work (as below)...

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Roger, I cannot see the pictures, however, in general, having Veeam B&R server responsible for replication residing in DR site is the best practice. This way you will be able to automatically perform failover within Veeam B&R console and perform other tasks in case of DR. That said, another approach is also viable, Veeam B&R can be located in source site and you can have its configuration backup for the case when firing up another instance is required. No issues in terms of licensing here, since Veeam B&R is licensed by the number of sockets in the protected hosts (so you can even have two instances in both locations responsible for different types of jobs).
rogerdu
Expert

Post by rogerdu »

Thanks Foggy... the last image was exactly that... the Backup server at the remote site, and proxies at both sites.

Thanks for the confirmation.