Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dfrook_99
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Frook

Configuring a new Proxy / Disk Repository

Post by dfrook_99 »

We are in the midst of setting up our new Proxy Server & Disk Repository (same server). This is a HP BL460 blade server with locally attached D6000 disk chassis (35X2TB drives). I would like to use a strategy with regards to setting up two disk groups, the first disk group will be for shorter term retention data with emphasis on performance, and the second disk group with longer term retention and emphasis on capacity, then using disk copies to move the data from the first disk group to the second group. The idea is to keep 14 days retention or shorter on the first disk group, and then copy the data to the second disk group for longer term retention.

I have some additional questions that I'm hoping that you might be able to answer for me or at the least point me in the direction in the way of documentation.

We would like to know or are trying to determine which RAID types we should use for the first and second disk group, and are wondering how Veeam writes the data to the disks?
Here is the report from IOMeter we ran on both Raid 10 and Raid 50.

The sequential writes are significantly better 100x throughput with .26 MS response time for RAID 10. So if the workload for Veeam leverages sequential writes during the backup creation, this would be the way to go. I would like to see a much longer run time for this test to ensure that the data from the 2 configurations stands up to load over 2-3 hours.
First image,
http://s376.photobucket.com/user/davefr ... c.png.html
Second Image,
http://s376.photobucket.com/user/davefr ... z.png.html

Now when we use NBU to write to tape I gather is workload will be random read where Raid 50 is about 10 x better.

Thanks for any help
Dave

Thanks for any help
spittles.adam
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Spittles

Re: Configuring a new Proxy / Disk Repository

Post by spittles.adam »

Hi,

How much data are you backing up?

What are the speed of the disks?

How often are your backups running?

What is your backup window?

What is your required retention?

Any special considerations?

What is your RTO/RPO?

A Veeam capacity document was released the other week, this contains FIO along with test files to simulate Veeam behaviour.

RAID 1+0 will provide better performance of the two

Reverse incrementals carry a 3 times I/O penalty, any synthetic creations carry 2. A full backup and incremental will be mostly sequential read/write, reverse incremental's and transformations will be more random.

Answers to the questions above will determine what your backup storage looks like. At a glance I would opt for a single large array and have high retention with a backup copy off-site

Thanks
A