Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tui
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Javier

My first Message and questión about "Change Block Tracking"

Post by Tui »

Hello, i am a spanish deaf guy from galicia (here talk spanish or galician).

My english not is very good, but i understand a bit.

Y have two vmware machines, and this machines have 6 virtual machines. Full size of servers are 1Tb or same.

The Veeam Backup configured by the installator only make backups about 400-500mb, i ask about it to the installator and he say me: the backups are "Changed Block Tracking", and this backups are normal...dont worry....

But i dontunderstand who make this backups, only know not are a full backup.

I only like ask if the Changed Block Tracking, only creates backup files modifed last days and create points restauration of virtual machines are selected. If one virtual machine crash, have option to restauratión of the last points hare created.

This last i write here its true or i am confused?.

Sorry by my noob english, to deaf people is hard learn this language, if have people here talk a bit spanish for me not is problem, and i try make and read the messages in english too.

Ty for all.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: My first Message and questión about "Change Block Tracki

Post by foggy »

Javier, welcome to our forums! You can read about Changed Block Tracking in the corresponding user guide section. Basically, backup chain is incremental and contains initial full and subsequent increments that contain only blocks changed since previous job run. You can restore from any restore point in the chain, provided you have all the increments up to the corresponding full backup.

I also believe we have Spanish version as well on our documentation portal.
Tui
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Javier

Post by Tui »

foggy wrote:Javier, welcome to our forums! You can read about Changed Block Tracking in the corresponding user guide section. Basically, backup chain is incremental and contains initial full and subsequent increments that contain only blocks changed since previous job run. You can restore from any restore point in the chain, provided you have all the increments up to the corresponding full backup.

I also believe we have Spanish version as well on our documentation portal.

Hello, but normally in the disk have 1Tb

And in the NAS backup only 300mb, i dont view the initial complete backup, only 300gb (i think the incremental).

This is a bad installation? need complete + incremental backups? i remenver report it to installator and he say its good, and talk about Changed Block Tracking...

Ty for the response.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If it's 300GB full backup file for 1TB VM, then it's most likely due to compression and deduplication savings. Anyway, you can try to restore from this backup and see whether it is good or not.