Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CCastellanos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Castellanos

VEEAM as a Virtual Appliance (Independent)

Post by CCastellanos »

Hola VEEAM Community:

I have been pondering this question for sometime. While it goes without saying VEEAM installation(s) over Windows Server (e.g. 2012R2) are a very solid option, I was wondering if VEEAM is considering releasing its own Virtual Appliance.
I am not referring to the Virtual Appliance "mode" for a Proxy Veeam role but a truly "OS-independent" virtual appliance, more like vCSA from VMWare.

Perhaps this can be a good idea for leave roles starting with Proxy.

Any ideas or pointer to a previous topic is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time and reading my post.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VEEAM as a Virtual Appliance (Independent)

Post by Shestakov »

Hola Carlos,
I believe it`s not in the immediate future plans.
Could you specify what problems such an option can solve for you? Gracias!
CCastellanos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Castellanos

Post by CCastellanos »

Shestakov, thanks for your prompt reply.

Having at least an entry level appliance for roles such as PROXY and REPO Management will definitely add more flexibility and independence to your platform. VEEAM installation is now a layer on top of Microsoft Windows Server versions. There is nothing wrong with this approach but it also limits its implementation for some IT shops. Here are some notes:

- Every VEEAM installation is Windows dependent this can bring overall cost of Licenses for shops.
- VEEAM Appliance while carrying an initial cost will make VEEAM platform-agnostic when it comes to its own backup infrastructure.
- In principle VMWare and other virtual infrastructure providers are more than Windows OS and Servers virtualization, VEEAM is at a position to raise this bar.
- VEEAM VA can bring a significantly smaller foot print and allocate resources more specifically to the role.
- Maintenance cost of this VA can be argued as there is cost associated with Windows server dependencies.
- A VA can open the doors to innovative implementations (e.g. Containerization, think EVO-RAIL, Dockers, etc)... but I would leave this piece to the more versed in this field.

In our case specifically, not having to deploy a whole Windows 2012R2 Server to get a proxy is appealing.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thank you for the detailed response, Carlos!
The reasoning is fair. We will take your feedback into account!
Thanks!
simplicity
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Rick Baranowski

Post by simplicity »

We second this! Every other vendor we tested had a Linux based appliance for the helper/proxy, etc. Doing strictly windows, adds a lot of cost for Micros$ft license and additional resources when you start to scale out. Even VMware has a Linux based vcenter appliance.