Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ChrisBailey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Bailey

Veeam 8.2 - Tape Backup Job Fails

Post by ChrisBailey »

Ever since I updated to 8.2 (to allow an end-point backup job to use my repository) I have been having issues with my tape drive, nothing has changed on the drive or the fibre connection for it. I have had to reboot several times and re-running the job has worked. This past weekend I have tried multiple reboots, new tapes, rebooting the tape drive and I keep getting the same error

HP MSL2024 LTO6
6/1/2015 10:06:54 AM :: [This server] [TapeService] Failed to Get media info
The system cannot find the file specified.
Problem with CreateFile in '\\.\Tape0'

The job gets about 8:00 - 15:00 minutes in and fails - between 30-50GB written

Any suggestions..?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam 8.2 - Tape Backup Job Fails

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris.
Please open a support case and post here a case ID for tracking purposes. Thank you in advance.
ChrisBailey
Novice
Full Name: Chris Bailey

Post by ChrisBailey »

Case ID: 00931367

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Chris,
Thank you for the case ID. While the support team is checking the logs could you please elaborate the tape job producing error is a file to tape or backup to tape? Is that happening with a specific job or with all existing tape jobs?
hardbern
Novice
Full Name: Bernhard Retierts

Post by hardbern »

same here (veeam case # 00933074 ) ... it began by the end of april 2015, no problems before. (without changing anything in the configuration or infrastructure) there a 3 tape jobs, writing to an IBM autoloader with 2 drives. sometimes all 3 jobs do well, but it gets worse. VEEAM recommended updating to the latest version (8.2b) - without success. usually 2 out of 3 won't work. sometimes tape 0 is affected, sometimes tape 1, sometimes both. this is really annoying. veeam has all job-logs, logs of the ibm-tape tool. the case is open for 3 weeks now. I really do hope to get this fixed soon because I have 30 days backup to disk available, the older backups will be discarded from disk, therefore I need the tapes.
best bernhard
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bernhard,
According to the topic starter's case details the issue was caused by the tape drive malfunction and was resolved by replacing the drive. I’ve asked QA team to pay additional attention to your case, will see how it goes.
vanakenarch
Novice
Full Name: Lars Bemelmans

Post by vanakenarch »

Same problem here for a few months on and off. Case # 00999285.
Checked the drivers/firmware of the Dell TL2000 tapelibrary with Dell/IBM LTO5-HH drive. They are all up to date. Rebooted the server and tapelibrary, still after 9hrs getting a failure. I did a complete shutdown/poweroff of the server and tapelibrary and starting the job again. I receive these failures a lot and sometimes a week later it works flawless, to fail again a few weeks later... I don't see any "unknown or generic" drivers in system management. I need a fix for this problem, because I cannot have more then 2 weeks of backups on my disks so I need to copy the files to tape. For now the backup to tape is quite unreliable.
I noticed this behavior since Veeam BR 8.0.0.917 (also around april 2015) i'm running with the latest patch/version at the moment.

Best Lars.