Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Feature Request: WAN Accelerator support

Post by k00laid »

Since we can now use the Backup Repository as a destination for EPB jobs, can the other backup infrastructure components get in on the act too? It would be great if you could have some kind of detection capability built into EPB that would allow it to see if the destination B&R server has a WAN Accelerator in the same subnet as the endpoint to be backed up and if so ship the backups through it.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: WAN Accelerator support

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jim,

In the existing version you can use WAN accelerator in conjunction with backup copy job with endpoint backups :wink:
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard

Post by k00laid »

But that requires me to have a local backup source from which to copy from, correct? In my scenario I don't have any place local with enough storage to host backups, they are all flowing over the WAN.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jim,

That's correct. So if I understand it correctly, you want to use some sort of source WAN accelerator on the endpoint sending it to a target one on your B&R server located across the WAN. I'm not saying we are going to build this (as I always do ;-)) but are you willing to give up some GB of space on your endpoint to act as the cache for that?

Mike
patrickbeau
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Beau

Post by patrickbeau »

Hi,

I'm also interrested with this kind of feature which is the only good thing in Acronis Backup.
The software send hashes to the server which check if there are already in the deduplication database. After, it send all blocks that aren't positive to deduplication.

Personnaly, I give you 2 to 4Gb of space for that, with no problem if bandwidth is really saved.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Patrick,
Predicting the second feature request in conjunction with endpoint WAN acceleration – deduplication across multiple endpoint jobs :D
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard

Post by k00laid »

Mike,
Sorry for the slow response, I forgot about it until I saw the Forum Digest last night. I would be happy to give up some GB, 100 GB or so, to enable this. Our use case is for very small remote offices, 3 users or less, but each office has its own physical server for AD, file and print, etc. I can setup the server to act as the proxy for the workstations and (hopefully) itself. That would be a question though, in that scenario can a Proxy/Accelerator can it process itself?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jim,

No idea at this moment since we don't support WAN acceleration with VEB :-). But it might be certainly something that we can debate on internally.

I do understand pretty much what you want to achieve. What I wonder now is if you can use VEB on the AD, file and print server... and use maybe a share on the file and print server as a target. Then deploy the WAN accelerator & repository role on one of those machines (file and print server again?) and use it in your backup copy job to the main office. I can't say I am completely sure, but I think it should work.

Dima? Does this sound like a potential solution?

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, it might be.
bc-109
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Toussaint OTTAVI

Post by bc-109 »

Hi,

A little UP for a very old thread. Are there some news about WAN Accelerator support in Veeam Agent for Windows ?

The user case here is : standalone user, with a single PC, no server or local storage; PC is located behind an ADSL with very small uplink, so that backups without WAN Accelerator are merely impossible.

Thank you in advance. Kind regards
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

WAN acceleration is available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions of Veeam Backup & Replication. In your particular case, I'd recommend to look for a local storage or to ensure a reliable uplink.

Thanks!