Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Changing FQDN of ESXi hosts joined to vCenter Appliance

Post by resruss »

Hi all,

This isn't 100% of a Veeam question, but the main reason for trying to keep the existing vCenter is Veeam related.
So we're migrating away from a 2003 SBS single DC environment (olddomain.local) to a new 2012 R2 multi DC brand new AD domain (internal.newdomain.com).
We're running ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server Appliance 5.0, using Veeam to target the vCenter Server Appliance by DNS for accessing the VMs.

We're going to be staging the new build over the next month or so, at the end of which, olddomain.local will no longer exist.
I know in the past, when rebooting the single DC and connected through vCenter, my console session fails to connect.

Essentially, I'm trying to not create new backups (due to space constraints) and ensure I can connect to the VM console through vCenter.
I know that if I reconnect the hosts to vCenter, the VMs will get new new IDs and essentially be new VMs to Veeam.

Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Changing FQDN of ESXi hosts joined to vCenter Appliance

Post by veremin »

Hmm, so, your VMs are added to VB&R jobs via vCenter, and you want to preserve everything as is, once the vCenter gets new DNS name, right? If so, you can try to leverage this workaround. Thanks.
resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Re: Changing FQDN of ESXi hosts joined to vCenter Appliance

Post by resruss »

v.Eremin wrote:Hmm, so, your VMs are added to VB&R jobs via vCenter, and you want to preserve everything as is, once the vCenter gets new DNS name, right? If so, you can try to leverage this workaround. Thanks.
The FQDN for the vCenter as well as the hosts are added using FQDN.

I know I'm going to have a hard time with vCenter contacting the hosts that were also registetered using the .local domain that will no longer exist.

We may be better off just building a new vCenter appliance and migrating to that, we'll need to create new full backups, but I guess we can use a NAS with iSCSI LUNs temporarily as a repository