Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
krogerss
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Synthetic Full tape job

Post by krogerss »

Currently I have a few backup jobs that are duplicated to tape once they complete. The source jobs are using the forever incremental method and the tape job is set to create a synthetic full on Fridays. This has been working ok for a few weeks now, but now I have unexpected behavior. Typically, my main tape job finishes and around 1.8TB has been transferred. As of now, this tape job is still running (ran out of tape space), and it only about 54% complete and has transferred 2.5TB already. I dont know what is going on, but it appears to be processing more backup files than usual and is running extremely slow. Any ideas on what is going or why this has happened? Just let me know if any more information is needed. Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Synthetic Full tape job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What do session details show for this job?
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Well, the first three lines have "Modified storage **** added to backup list." Then it says "Synthesized VBK file will be added instead of storage 2015-06-05**.vib. Then there are four more "Modified storage added" messages, then "New Storage ***.vbk added," and then another Modified Storage added entry. Typically, these entries are not listed during a job; it usually just says Synthesized vbk will be added" and "Creating synthesized vbk." Not sure what caused all this modified storage entries and the entry for the new vbk. Hope this makes sense...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello krogerss,

Could you please clarify are you up-to-date with the latest build 8.0.0.2029 - Update 2a? Thanks
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

I'm actually on version 8.0.0.2021.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

This tape job ran again last night as scheduled, however, it created another synthetic full. This time it wasn't as problematic and was about the normal size. I don't know why it did another full backup though...
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Regarding this post, I'm just going to open a case. In the meantime, I'm going to change my jobs so that synthetic fulls are not created on tape as I have no confidence in this method right now.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the heads up! Can you please clarify its creating additional virtual full backup on tape or the size of the backup file itself is unpredictably large? In addition please post here the case ID for tracking purposes.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Yeah, it shows a vbk on tape. Case # is 00937841. Thanks.
Meyercord
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Post by Meyercord »

Have you made any progress on your case? I am having a similar issue where writing 4.5 TB of data is using around 8TB when copied to tape
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

No, unfortunately not. They never did figure out why it happened. I've had a similar issue since then as well, opened a case, still no explanation. Thanks.
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Post by namiko78 »

I have this happening too, but i'm being told it's normal behavior. Still waiting for an answer as to why it needs to backup 2 VBK's when i only have 1 in the repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,
I've just started to write up an update when found this thread. Does this explanation make sense? Thanks