Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MopedTobias
Novice
Liked: never

Restore Time

Post by MopedTobias »

Hi folks!

I did some backup & restore tests these days and got some interesting results regarding the recovery time, respectively r/w speed. A restore within Windows from always the same backup source disk to different targets (HDD, SSD, incl. RAMDISK for fun ;) ) performed with the possible max. read speed of the backup disk. Also the type of backup (full/incremental) doesn't harm the restore speed in a considerable way.

But restores of a full backup from within the recovery media drop to an average of half the restore speed, incremental restore points drop to less than 1/5. (Side note: After this I did the incremental restore with two steps. First I restored the full backup and then the incremental and each round were performed with half the speed again. ^^ )

Does anyone made similar experiences?

Regards
MT
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restore Time

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

I believe these are more or less normal, but I am not sure about the 1/5 that you received. These are interesting tests however so could you share some more stats such as MB/s that you received on all the tests? I'm sure our QC department would want to have a look at them

Thanks

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hey MT,
In addition to Mike's questions I’d like to know did you use the same disk repository while restoring from recovery media or was it an external usb device / file share? Thanks
MopedTobias
Novice

Post by MopedTobias »

Hi Dima,

as I mentioned I always used the same (internal sata 3 attached) backup source disk and also the same backup file. I will perform some tests the next days again and post the results incl. details of the test environment.

Thanks for your replies
MT
MopedTobias
Novice

Post by MopedTobias »

I'm back. :)

I found the time to make some tests again. I've also mailed the results to your support (Case # 01022381) but I guess the supporter didn't understood the issue correctly. What I've observed ist that during the restore phase often periods of hhd inactivity occour what seems to lead to the slow overall restore rate & time.

Regards
MT
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for getting back to us. I'll check the case on Monday and discuss your issue with the team.