Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Sascha
Novice
Liked: never

Encryption für USB Devices

Post by Sascha »

Hallo,

it would be great if Veeam Enpoint Backup would be able to encrypt backups on local or USB-Devices. Is Data-Encryption outside an Veeam-Repository planed?

thanks and regards
Sascha
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Encryption für USB Devices

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Sascha,
We don’t have any estimates on providing this feature, however, native MS Windows Bitlocker encryption for both source and target is supported and what’s more important - Veeam Endpoint Backup does support Bare Metal Recovery from the BitLocked devices.
Sascha
Novice

Post by Sascha »

Thank you for your reply, i will have a look on that feature.
Sascha
Novice

Post by Sascha »

Hey,

Upgrading all our Devices to Windows Ultimate / Enterprise is not an option for us, so Bitlocker is not a Windows feature we can use. A Truecrypt support would be great.

For my interest:
During my testing with a Bitlocker encrypted Laptop, Veeam Endpoint Backup did not notice that my System Disk (my only partition) was encrypted, also the backup on my Network Storage was not encrypted. Do I need to create a second encrypted partition for my data, as seen in this (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10/bitlocker.html) HowTo?

thank you
Sascha
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Sascha,
During my testing with a Bitlocker encrypted Laptop, Veeam Endpoint Backup did not notice that my System Disk (my only partition) was encrypted
Can you elaborate? Veeam Endpoint Backup should backup any volume encrypted with BitLocker via volume level backup mode or Entire PC backup mode, so – was the backup successful?
Sascha
Novice

Post by Sascha »

It was, but the Backup has not been encrypted.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sascha,
One of the supported scenarios is to have the BitLocker enabled for the USB repository. With auto unlock functionality enabled you will have your backup file encrypted during backup with windows native BitLocker and Veeam Recovery Media will allow you to unlock the encrypted drive upon recovery.