Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

vmdk size changed. Changed block tracking is disabled.

Post by marky »

Having increased the provisioned HD size and extended a couple of VM's yesterday, I noted a warning in Veeam from last nights backup. I've read around which suggests maybe I don't need to worry. Is this correct for Reverse Inc backups?

Disk [VOL2 (N-RAID 0)] server/server.vmdk size changed. Changed block tracking is disabled.

Also, how does this affect restoring from older backups?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: vmdk size changed. Changed block tracking is disabled.

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Mark,
Marky wrote:I've read around which suggests maybe I don't need to worry. Is this correct for Reverse Inc backups?
That`s right. Typically the warning will go after the next job, since backup jobs should handle source disk size changes seamlessly. If you observe different behavior, I recommend to contact technical support so they could verify the possible reason. Or you can try to enable CBT manually for this job and see whether this helps.
Marky wrote:Also, how does this affect restoring from older backups?
It doesn`t affect restoring from older backups. However, if you use replication, the behaviour will be different.
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

Post by marky »

Thanks Nikita
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

Post by Threonine »

Is there any way to mitigate the "size changed. Changed block tracking is disabled." warning from occurring in a backup job after a virtual disk size is changed? We often get questioned about this warning from customers the day after we've performed a virtual disk size change.
I can't find any knowledge base article about the warning or anything in the user guide. I did find one blog post claiming the warning can be mitigated by rescanning the vCenter in the Veeam "Backup Infrastructure" configuration after a virtual disk size change (http://www.adventuresinvmware.co.uk/?p=319). Is this correct? If needed, I can test it.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Luke, do you want to suppress this message during the very first job run after changing the disk size?
Threonine
Service Provider

Post by Threonine »

Foggy, yes. That is what I was thinking.

To me this seems more like an informational message rather than a warning, but I understand the reason for it.

I suppose we could temporarily disable the "Notify on warning" option until the next day to work around the issue. I'm actually resizing a VMDK today and would like to just avoid having to explain this warning to the customer.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As far as I know, there's no way to do that.
Threonine
Service Provider

Post by Threonine »

So, interesting... I resized a couple virtual disks yesterday at another customer site and then checked the results the next day and there was no warning. Instead, there was an informational event like "6/8/2015 6:58:14 PM :: Disk [san-v101-r5] VMNAME/VMNAME_1.vmdk size changed, entire virtual disk must be read"... This customer was running Backup & Replication v8. So, apparently upgrading to v8 changes this behavior...(?)