Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aknox
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Knox

Merges taking 90+ hours, is that normal?

Post by aknox »

Hello,
We are a fairly recent Veeam shop (went live ~2 months ago). I've noticed that the process of merging the oldest incremental backup into the full is taking 90+ hours. The three recent jobs that have gone through this process are all going to various Exagrid devices and consist of...
1. 5TB Windows file server
2. 4 Linux servers totaling 1.2TB
3. 35 Windows systems totalling 7.8 TB

The average non-merge Processing rate is usually around 150 MB/s - 200 MB/s.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the merges or is this a not uncommon time frame for the merge jobs to complete?

Thanks,
Aaron
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Merges taking 90+ hours, is that normal?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Aaron,
Please review this topic explaining the possible reasons of the slow merge.
What is your VBR version number? What kind of job are we talking about(backup copy or forever incremental backup)?
Thanks!
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Re: Merges taking 90+ hours, is that normal?

Post by dspjones » 2 people like this post

What version are you running? I had similar issues when I was running version 8.0.0.917. After upgrading to version 8.0.0.2021 the issue was significantly better. For example my production server backup job was typically taking about an hour to complete the backup portion but the merge would add another 10 - 14 hours. Don't know exactly why but upgrading to 8.0.0.2021 resolve it. Now the job takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 hours which is about normal. I just updated this morning to the latest version which is 8.0.0.2029 and it appears to be running slightly faster. Currently job is 28 minutes in and over 60% of the machines are completed (46 servers @ about 3TB). Veeam is a phenomenal backup solution. Make sure you contact support for any issues. They are really good at supporting the product. That's not just marketing speak, it is from 1st hand experience.