Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ori
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ori Besser

SureReplica for heartbeat tests only

Post by ori »

Hi,
What would be the best way to test all my replicas for heartbeat only?

The SureReplica job requires a virtual lab, even though it is not needed for the heartbeat tests, so I created a virtual lab without a proxy appliance and chose it in my SureReplica job configuration. I have linked one of my replication jobs, selected heartbeat test only and disabled the ping test.

The problem is that the SureReplica job fails on replicas located on different hosts than the virtual lab, even though network connectivity tests were not selected.
Licensing prevents me from using a vds on my DR site, is there a way to overcome this limitation and test replicas from different hosts?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureReplica for heartbeat tests only

Post by foggy »

Ori, I recommend contacting support to understand what is the reason of the failure. Meanwhile, you can use several jobs (one per host) to avoid the issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Multi-host Virtual Lab requires DVS (Distributed Virtual Switch), which is not available in some VMware editions. Please check to make sure your VMware edition is Enterprise Plus. Thanks!
ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

Thanks for your feedback,
I understand that without a vDS virtual lab appliance on one host can not provide networking to VMs on different hosts, but my point was why to be bounded with these networking limitations while I don't even need to run network connectivity tests. The job fails, even when all I chose is heartbeat test.

Alexander, I want to link an entire replication job to the SureReplica job so I cannot control where each VM is located, doing multiple jobs for each host would be complicated.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The issue here is most likely network mapping that is configured in the virtual lab wizard (prior to defining the actual set of tests in the SureBackup job itself). Try to select advanced networking and specify the network that has no VMs in it as production network (probably, create a new one). With such mapping the job should not fail.
ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

I tried it but I still get the error: Replica VM is located on a different host than virtual lab for VMs located on different hosts.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, probably there's a hard-coded limitation that does not allow this. I'd still recommend to contact support to verify everything with the engineer.