Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
derekr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek

HostIsolationIpPingFailedEvent

Post by derekr »

Hello,

We have had two occasions when we have received this alert in in Veeam One. I have opened a ticket with both Veeam One Support and VMware. we have 3 hosts and early this morning two of them had this event. When I logged in this morning my vSphere client was disconnected so I evidently lost connection with the vCenter server which was hosted on the third one that didn't trigger the error.

I have sent the logs to Veeam One Support and have not heard back from them. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Veeam Support - Case # 00931942

Fired by event: HostIsolationIpPingFailedEvent
Event description: vSphere HA agent on host 172.16.50.21 in cluster Cluster1 in abc VMS Datacenter could not reach isolation address: 172.16.50.1
Initiated by: Not Set
Knowledge
This event records that the isolation address could not be pinged. The default isolation address is the service console's default gateway

Warning

6/9/2015 4:25:07 AM

State of ESX(i) server is not equal to "Connected"

Fired by event: HostConnectionLostEvent
Event description: Host 172.16.50.21 in ABC VMS Datacenter is not responding

Error

6/1/2015 9:42:06 AM6/1/2015 9:43:06 AM

Fired by event: HostIsolationIpPingFailedEvent
Event description: vSphere HA agent on host 172.16.50.11 in cluster Cluster1 in ABC VMS Datacenter could not reach isolation address: 172.16.50.1

State of datastore is not equal to "Accessible"

Warning

Thanks,

Derek
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: HostIsolationIpPingFailedEvent

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Derek,

Looks like you have a problem in the cluster connection and it`s barely related to Veeam One.
However, let`s try to troubleshoot the problem.

Host could not reach the isolation address, means the cluster is not functioning correctly. The default isolation response address is the default gateway but other reliable IP addresses can be configured along with the default gateway or the default gateway can also be disabled as an isolation response address.
I`d suggest to investigate your network to determine why it is unable to receive a response from at least one isolation response address.

If the isolation response address was manually added using the advanced setting das.isolationaddress remove the non-pingable isolation address from your advanced settings and specify a new pingable isolation address.
When the listed ip address is the currently configured default gateway, add an additional isolation address using das.isolationaddress and disable the use of the default gateway for isolation verification using the advanced setting das.usedefaultisolationaddress set to false.

I believe VMware support is the one who solve the problem for sure. Also review this KB for more info.
derekr
Novice

Post by derekr »

Thank you for the reply. I have a ticket open with VMware also. I do have the correct gateway on each host though.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I see that your ticket in research phase right now, so I would suggest to ask for an update from your support engineer. As to the issue you're observing, do you see any errors in vCenter Server/ESXi events tab when you're using vSphere Client?
derekr
Novice

Post by derekr »

the same errors showed up on the events tab in vSphere.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! This is what I thought. Do you have any response from VMware technical team on the reason why these events were triggered?