Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

GUI Issue and Possible Feature Request

Post by evander »

Hi All - I am busy testing the EndPoint Backup product that I am very happy Veeam have decided to develop. Such a much needed product.

So here's my first question/problem...

I am running the full Veeam Backup and Replication software to protect my critical VMware infrastructure for many years now. That is humming along nicely.
While I am testing the VEB I wish to use the VBR managed repository. However, I want my IT staff to manage the endpoint backups at their own sites via VBR but I don't want them to have access to my existing Critical Server backups. Nobody junior must come anywhere near my babies :)

Now I do see there is some permissions/roles that you can set on the VBR server but want I want is for them to have full control over their VEB backups/restores and zero access to any Server based backups/restores.
From what I can see (initially at least) is that this is not a possibility at the moment?
So that would be a feature request, I guess, unless I am just being stupid (possible) and cant see the correct way to do this already.

So to get around this I have installed a separate VBR server instance and only added a repository for the VEB backups. It is not linked to my ESXi or vCenter servers at all.
Now this brings an interesting glitch. In the VBR GUI I cannot see the "Backup & Replication" tab, I only see the "Backup Infrastructure" and "History" tab on the left side of the GUI by default. If I go ahead and select it via the little arrow at the bottom, it will display fine but then disappear again when closing the application and opening again. Weird right? I suspect its because it wants me to add a Server first, but all I need in this case is a repository so its annoying manually selecting it every single time...

Ideas?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GUI Issue and Possible Feature Request

Post by Dima P. »

Hello evander,

Yes there is no option to specify granular permission and let the users manage only Endpoint jobs/repository settings at the VBR level. Though, it’s a good feature request for next version improvements, so thanks for posting :wink:
Now this brings an interesting glitch. In the VBR GUI I cannot see the "Backup & Replication" tab, I only see the "Backup Infrastructure" and "History" tab on the left side of the GUI by default. If I go ahead and select it via the little arrow at the bottom, it will display fine but then disappear again when closing the application and opening again. Weird right?
Thanks – I’ll check it. Meanwhile, can you confirm that this instance of the VBR is not running in free mode?
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by evander »

Hi Dima - thanks for the response.
I can confirm that this is running as a licensed version not a free version on the VBR software.

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

evander,
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll update this thread once I find anything. Cheers!