Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sdeath
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stuart Death

Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by sdeath »

Hi there, just want to make sure this is possible as it doesn't appear to work at the minute. I want to end up with a full backup at the end of each working day and then back that up to tape. I don't need any other restore points on disk so I run reverse incremental with just 1 restore point (in other words, just the one .vbk file every day). Using the latest version of Veeam, I am linking the job to a tape job which should run when the b2d job has finished, however, the backup to tape job doesn't run. If I create a backup to tape job using the repository then it works fine but I'm not sure if I want to use that method yet.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Stuart,
sdeath wrote:I am linking the job to a tape job which should run when the b2d job has finished, however, the backup to tape job doesn't run.
Does it start and stumble over some error or it doesn`t start at all? Note that it can`t start when the source job is running.
Thanks!
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It doesn't start at all. The source job starts and completes successfully but the tape job does nothing. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it seems pretty straight forwared...I think!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Stuart,
Probably something is wrong with the scheduling of the job.
The job might not copy backups to tape if the source job is running, but in any case it should start at the predefined time. What are your current schedule settings?
Try to set it to start right after the source job. Or just run continuously waiting for new restore point.
Thanks!
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

I currently have the tape job configured to 'After this job: ....' , this isn't working, are you saying it should work?
The source job is definitely not running any more and there is no predefined time for it to start because it is dependent on the source job.
I am just trying it with the tape job set to 'As new backup files appear', I'd rather not use this option though as some jobs would be run adhoc and it seems daft having the tape jobs run continuously waiting for a new backup file when it is only run occasionally.

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

sdeath wrote:I currently have the tape job configured to 'After this job: ....' , this isn't working, are you saying it should work?
If the source job finishes successfully, for sure it should. I`d suggest to review logs with Veeam Support team to find the issue.
sdeath wrote:I am just trying it with the tape job set to 'As new backup files appear', I'd rather not use this option though as some jobs would be run adhoc and it seems daft having the tape jobs run continuously waiting for a new backup file when it is only run occasionally.
It`s not that daft, since the job will just waiting new restore points in "idle" state. And once you have it(daily), the tape job will copy the backup to tape.
Thanks!
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

Thanks for your help, I'll log a call to support.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Once you do, please post your support case number for us to follow the investigation, thanks!
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying to this. I have logged with support and had a remote session with an engineer to have a look. It seems this behaviour is not expected so will be trying in the lab and probably escalating the call.

Support case number is: 00954180

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for updating the topic!

As I see from your support case, you are to have a webex with a support engineer, so let`s wait for it to get more understanding.
Once you need an assistance, let me know!