marc.rousseau
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: marc.rousseau

SQL Database restore failed with Veeam Explorer

Post by marc.rousseau » 2 people like this post

[ID# 00934408]

Hello,

I would like to share the problem that I met using Veeam Explorer 8 to restore a SQL Database (50GB of data and 22GB of logs) and the solution that solved the problem.

During SQL database restore the process failed with the following error in the Explorer logs:

(11304) Error: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

To solve this problem I stoped all Veeam services, edited on Veeam server the following configuration file :

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\SQLExplorer\config.xml

Added the following content:

<Veeam>
<Core>
<Log Level="Extended"/>
</Core>
<SQLCore CommandTimeout="900"/>
</Veeam>

Where I set the value of "SQLCore CommandTimeout" to 15min.

Once config.xml file saved and Veeam services restarted, the SQL database restore was successfully done.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SQL Database restore failed with Veeam Explorer

Post by PTide »

Hi Marc,

Thank you for sharing your solution here! However, I have something to say in regards to aforementioned issue:

First of all, I would check the performance of your database (the one you were trying to restore). It seems that, for some reason, your SQL server works too slow thereby sabotaging the whole restoration process. As you know SQL server performance depends not only on the hardware, whether virtual or physical, but also on such parameters as recovery model, query execution speed etc.

The workaround you’ve suggested may work fine for you, but you may want to have the root problem eliminated eventually. I would at least start to closely monitor an average query execution time on this server.

Thank you.
marc.rousseau
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: marc.rousseau

Post by marc.rousseau » 2 people like this post

Hi PTide,

You are right. There is a performance problem related to the log file structure that can be solved using the following solution:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/ ... -time.aspx

Nevertheless, the temporarily solution that I shared has permitted to do a backup of the production database, sure slow but successfully done.

Thank you for your reply.
stlspartan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Cameron

Post by stlspartan »

We have run into this same issue. Not all databases are small. We have databases that are 100's of gigabytes in size and are not going to be restored during a brief timeout window. It seems a little be arbitrary to assign a fixed timeout to a process that might be trying to push huge amounts of data.
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello All,

The error message I receive is slightly different from above but I would appreciate some help.
If my problem has been addressed in a different thread, please refer me to it.

I have a test environment in which I have installed VB&R 10 into a virtual machine.
I have OracleDB 12c release 2 installed in another physical server, which I have successfully backed up to my VB&R server.
However, an attempt to restore the oracleDB to its original environment produces the following error;

"Unable to start runtime process on server xxx using ports range 1025-1034".

Please how do I go about solving this problem?

Thank you!
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 » 1 person likes this post

Please disregard the message above.
I just figured it out.

Thanks.