Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
renpen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rene Lahaye

Small Business Server Failover

Post by renpen »

I'm doing a failover of a SBS 2003 server and having issues getting Exchange services to start once the VM is up. Basically, I perform the failover and the VM then boots into Safe Mode, reboots a further 2 times before I am able to log into the server. At this stage the Exchange services don't start due to the services not being able to start in a timely manner.
I am using the Veeam VSS option and replication jobs are all successful. I haver another Windows 2003 SQL server which failovers without any issues.
There are no issues on the source VM so I'm assuming something is either not replicating correctly, a VSS issue or an issue whrn the VM reboots 3 times after the failover.
Anyone expreienced something similar to this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Small Business Server Failover

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rene,

Could you tell us if you've powered on that SBS VM using vSphere Client before (for example, to test it)? Additionaly, it would help to review full log files, so please contact our support directly for assistance.

Thank you!
renpen
Influencer

Post by renpen »

no, I failover the VM using Veeam and this process powers on the server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rene,

I think it will be best to open a support ticket with our technical team to get quicker assistance. Because it is hard to say what might gone wrong without seeing all the log files. We have many customers using SBS in their environment, and I don't remember reporting such issues before. Also please tell us your ticket number so I could later update this thread with the resolution.

Additionaly, I would try to perform another full backup of your SBS server to test a failover and see if the issue confirms or not.

Thanks!
renpen
Influencer

Post by renpen »

Did another full backup and failover works fine now. and all services starting etc.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rene,

Thank you for the update! Glad that everything works fine for you. But if you would like to drill down to the issue, please contact our support team.