Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

permanently using a remote replica.

Post by larry »

I replicated a VM that I want to permanently use the remote replica. Is there a way to have Veeam do all the steps. This is what I did am I missing anything ?
1) delete the replicate job
2) did a move of the files to get them out of the Veeam backup folder. ( whats the best way to do this when they are staying on the same disk) using VC this took an hour. Didn’t want to edit the files, writing DR steps and the less manual steps the better.
3) deleted the replicas from the Veeam main screen, under replicas.

I think I am good to go, am ?

All the steps for DR testing are well documented in the user manual. I am just the sure when we know we are never going back.

Our only issue in our testing so far was that the DR remote site veeam server needs to pull the VMs and not have the main site veeam server put the VMs on the DR sites ESX SAN. By us putting the VM on the remote site when the main site is gone we can't use the failover wizzid. live and learn.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: permanently using a remote replica.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Larry,

Yes, you're good to go!

If you want to use the replicated VM as the main one you can just simply start it using vSphere Client and that's it! And yes, you should remove replication job from the Veeam console. Actually you don't have to move anything from the Veeam backup folder on the ESX(i) hosts, but you can do that using FastSCP functionality.

By the way, you can always backup your Veeam SQL DB and use it with the fresh install on any site. It will give you a possibility to use a failover wizard.

Also please note that you've failed over to a replicated VM using failover wizard, and not going to undo failover, don't forget to delete a Veeam snapshot (using Snapshot Manager) that is created to protect replicated VM from user changes.

Hope it helps!
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: permanently using a remote replica.

Post by larry »

thanks