Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Kristian L
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kristian Loise

Feedback for Veeam

Post by Kristian L »

We have now two and half months test Veeam Backup & Replication environment under VMware. We have two backup servers and two proxies. Environment is working ok, but it need to be more stable and reliable, if it will be used under production environment. Here are some things what Veeam should fix, if you ask me. Some of these has been a problem for several years:

- You have to update Veeam using a web browser (should be a basic function)
- You need to configure environment with shell scripts, if you need some features that Veeam has not activated already (scripts are very good for many use, but features like these should be added to product itself)
- Many functions will need Active Directory and GPO (everyone won’t have change for these)
- When creating backup, Veeam need VMware tool under VM. You will get a warning or it might not even backup environment at all if you use some third party solution or the tool is missing. (You can fix this, but you need to make changes under VMware, in production environment this can not be possible, also you can't install vmware tool for every server)
- Veeam has guide to edit Veeam Server registery, if you example need to relocate logfile path. (This should be added to options under Veeam Backup & Replication)
- You can’t modify what encryption level you want to use
- You can’t change what time scale you want to see your report, you only see last 24 hours
- Veeam ftp sertificate is untrusted
- It is possible that proxy server / veeam server will create new disk by itself, if there is not enough disk space under backup disk. After this server will shutdown itself.

Regards,
Kristian L
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feedback for Veeam

Post by PTide »

Hi Kristian,
Many functions will need Active Directory and GPO (everyone won’t have change for these)
Could you specify which functions need that, please?
When creating backup, Veeam need VMware tool under VM. You will get a warning or it might not even backup environment at all if you use some third party solution or the tool is missing

Could you please give some examples when this applies?
Veeam has guide to edit Veeam Server registery, if you example need to relocate logfile path. (This should be added to options under Veeam Backup & Replication
I think there are many things that could be added to options but should not in order to keep the interface as lightweight as it is now. Changing logfile path is not a common task for 90% of users. Those who really need it will not be afraid of registery editing =D
You can’t change what time scale you want to see your report, you only see last 24 hours
There is a "History" tab right under the "Files" tab, please check it.
- It is possible that proxy server / veeam server will create new disk by itself, if there is not enough disk space under backup disk. After this server will shutdown itself.
Not sure of what you mean here...

Thank you.
Kristian L
Novice

Post by Kristian L »

Many functions will need Active Directory and GPO (everyone won’t have change for these)
Could you specify which functions need that, please?
Veeam Backup & Replication web application under vCenter.

From Enterprise manager, configuration, settings.
When creating backup, Veeam need VMware tool under VM. You will get a warning or it might not even backup environment at all if you use some third party solution or the tool is missing
Could you please give some examples when this applies?
? I just say it. This happens always, at every run if VMware tool is not what Veeam has descriped = official vmware tool. We have support case open about this.
Veeam has guide to edit Veeam Server registery, if you example need to relocate logfile path. (This should be added to options under Veeam Backup & Replication
I think there are many things that could be added to options but should not in order to keep the interface as lightweight as it is now. Changing logfile path is not a common task for 90% of users. Those who really need it will not be afraid of registery editing =D
I will disagree totally about that. Logfiles should not save in same server at all. So, all softwares should be "lighweight" and people will create features by themself?
Under production environment servers, you should not ever edit registery of those. You won't ever know what happens after system or software update.
You can’t change what time scale you want to see your report, you only see last 24 hours
There is a "History" tab right under the "Files" tab, please check it.
Yes, but you still cant change that for 24hours or 48hours or something else. Under vCenter, with Veeam web tool you can change this.
Not sure of what you mean here...
Let say, your backup storage is 1Tb and you add servers for backup which will take 2Tb or more, proxy will create new disks what you have at datastore and will try to write that data over there. We have face this many time. We have support case open about this.

Also it would be nice if Veeam could add SQL Management Studio into Backup & Replication installation process.
Little things are good customer service which makes you happy.
There is a lot of potential in Backup & Replication software, but I think some features what are missing should be basic settings, but also there are a few big bug which need to be fixed, for example that disk "overflow" what I just mention above.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry » 7 people like this post

We have been using Veeam and VMware for 5 years in production. Veeam is very stable; rarely do we not get a successfully backup, restore or offsite copy. We test all the time and have things tested by a third party so I know things just work.

All windows vm’s have the tools installed, part of using VMware.
We have never needed to use GPO for Veeam backups. We did create backup users with rights.
Backing up SQL does need to be customized for your environment but that was the same with any backup product.

You wrote tested for months then “problem for several years” which was it? More like a post waiting for a reaction.
jb1095
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jon Brite

Post by jb1095 » 4 people like this post

I am with Larry here. I do not know of ANY product that is even close to Veeam in terms of stability and ease of use.
kacsp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by kacsp » 5 people like this post

I second both 'larry' & 'jb1095' comments here...in my experience, Veeam is one of the BEST software products out there, and is a joy to use day in day out compared to the majority of the software I've had to use in my career; it just does what it says, simply & without drama or fuss.

And in my opinion, there's not much missing from Veeam in terms of features; in fact the opposite I'd say, as they're constantly improving it, and I'm routinely impressed by the flow of useful, even brilliant, new features added with each release.

Veeam gets a huge thumbs up from me for what they're doing at the moment...
Kristian L
Novice

Post by Kristian L »

larry wrote:You wrote tested for months then “problem for several years” which was it? More like a post waiting for a reaction.
There are other people also who has complain same problems what we have tested, you know. Several years without fixing them.

I dont know you guys/ladies, but I know what I have tested and I also know that some of those are very critical problems, but Veeam has not fix them. If you think Veeam is a best software ever, then you havent tested it enough.

Veeam, when I'm running a backup into disk where is not enough space, why a backup job wont stop/kill itself?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

A job fails when there's not enough space, so yes it stops/kills itself. It's up to the architect/user to size correctly the repository based on the estimated full size, change rate, and retention period. All these informations can be gathered with Veeam ONE before planning for backups, by analyzing the production environment, plus all the docs and resources we have to guide in the process.

PS: which one in your list is a "bug several years old we are not fixing"?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1