Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Homes32
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jonathan Holmgren

Feature Request: Centralized Credential Store

Post by Homes32 »

Would love to see a Centralized Credential Store integrated into Enterprise Manager. The option could then be made available in each console to use the central store instead of maintaining separate stores for each console. This could be done automatically when it detects Enterprise Manager (like licensing) or via a checkbox - Use central store....
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature Request: Centralized Credential Store

Post by PTide »

Hi Jonathan,

I believe that such a feature sounds a little bit similar to "The Entire Data Center Open All Doors Key".

Just imagine the scale of the disaster you'd face if that "key" was compromised... :shock:
Homes32
Enthusiast

Post by Homes32 »

PTide wrote:Hi Jonathan,

I believe that such a feature sounds a little bit similar to "The Entire Data Center Open All Doors Key".

Just imagine the scale of the disaster you'd face if that "key" was compromised... :shock:
Its no different then what vmware and other enterprise software already does with SSO and credential storage. You are already storing all the credentials veeam uses inside the server console anyway and if you are using multiple consoles (ie. one for backups and backup copy and another at your DR site for replication) you have to maintain each credential store individually. This would give you the option (see my checkbox remark in OP) to manage them from one location and have them flow down to the consoles.

cheers!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Its no different then what vmware...
Actually I think there is some... Imagine there is a Company-A and Company-B (Company-A's rival)

An access to Company-B's VMware SSO allows Company-A to stop/suspend/move/steal/delete current VMs, data from storages, but that would not be an unrecoverable damage - Company-B still got backups at hand.

An access to, lets say, Veeam Centralized Credential Store may get way more devastating. Company-A would be able to do anything with backups of your VMs and data or change some of your backup jobs so you will have noticed it when it's gonna be too late.

It's not ok to loose your live data, but everything's going to be fine if you have a recent backup, but It's not going to be fine if you get your backup infrastructure compromised, I think.
Homes32
Enthusiast

Post by Homes32 »

Are we on the same page here? I am talking about the stored credentials that the Veeam services use to backup your servers. Not credentials used to login to veeam B&R console or Enterprise manager.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Jonathan. Your request makes sense to me. Just to clarify (not directly related), but what are the reasons for you using multiple B&R servers? Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Homes32 wrote:Are we on the same page here? I am talking about the stored credentials that the Veeam services use to backup your servers. Not credentials used to login to veeam B&R console or Enterprise manager.
My bad, got it wrong, sorry about that.

Well, now I understand.

Thank you.
Homes32
Enthusiast

Post by Homes32 »

Gostev wrote:Hi, Jonathan. Your request makes sense to me. Just to clarify (not directly related), but what are the reasons for you using multiple B&R servers? Thanks.
I have a B&R server at my main site that handles backup to NAS and backup copy to my DR site and another server at my DR site for replication/fail-over.