Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Arnold
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnold

Noob question (Sorry) Veeam with Netbackup....

Post by Arnold »

Firstly, hello Veeam World :D

We have just implemented a new Veeam solution which is currently in its testing phase. Everything is working well and as expected (which is always a good start :P )

I do however have one small question, I thought I stumbled across on this forum previously, but am unable to find it again. We will be backing up all our VMs using Veeam and the storing the VBK and VRB files on a fiber attached SATABeast for fast and easy restore. What we would also like to do is backup these flat files using NetBackup once Veeam has finished its bit.

My question is, is there a way to script the start of a NetBackup job straight after the Veeam job has finished? This way we don't have to second guess what time to set the NetBackup job for, in the hope that Veeam has finished.

Once again, sorry if this has already been answered :D
slillis
Novice
Full Name: Scott Lillis

Re: Noob question (Sorry)

Post by slillis »

Arnold,

Absolutley. There is a post processing script that can be executed upon job completion.

If you select the advanced tab on the backup destination page you will see the a section on the bottom called Post Job activity that allows you to provide a script to execute once a job completes.

Your Veeam Account Executive or SE can also provide you with a white paper on integration with Netbackup.

You can also always schedule a Netbackup job to run automatically in a window outside Veeams backup window that will push your flat files to tape.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Noob question (Sorry)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Arnold,

Welcome to Veeam community forums! Just wanted to add that you can find more information on that by following the link below:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 08&p=11103

Hope it helps!
Arnold
Enthusiast

Re: Noob question (Sorry) Veeam with Netbackup....

Post by Arnold »

Scott,

Thank you for the quick reply, I will try and obtain the white paper :D

We thought about setting up an automated job to backup the flat files, but not knowing what time Veeam will finish its process we did not want to risk the chance of Netbackup starting before Veeam stops.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, with our proposed solution, Netbackup job is started by Veeam job itself (after Veeam job finishes successfully), so there is no risk of overlap.
Arnold
Enthusiast

Post by Arnold »

Gents,

Thank you for your help, Gostev, I understand that using the Advanced option, Post job will allow Veeam to kick of the NetBackup process via a script (I am looking at something easy like a batch file :P ) thus stopping any chance of an overlap. I just need to find correct commands :wink:

It was more the suggestion of running NetBackup in a window outside the Veeam window that I was concerned about clashing :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I believe it is a single command:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpbackup.exe" -p MyTapeCopyJob -i
Arnold
Enthusiast

Post by Arnold »

Gostev, most appreciated :D I will try this out, shows you how much experience I have had with NetBackup :oops: still we lives and learns :P
veera
Novice
Full Name: Veerasekar

Post by veera »

We are looking a backup file to Tape. But, unfortunatelly Veeam directly not support. The batch file setup in the Advanced button.We have a plan to use ntbackup for Disk to Tape. Can you correct me wheather the following command works?

Disk2Tape.bat
-------------
@ ECHO OFF
ntbackup backup "C:/Backups/Ubuntu.vbk" /T "/dev/rmt/0"
DEL "C:/Backups/Ubuntu.vbk"
EXIT

Veera
Climb Inc,
http://www.climb.co.jp
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Veera, you can certainly use ntbackup to backup Veeam Backup files to tape. However, you should not delete previous backup files from disk, as this will make backup jobs fail. Let the backup files be deleted automatically by Veeam Backup, according to the retention policy set in the backup job settings. Thanks!
veera
Novice
Full Name: Veerasekar

Post by veera »

Hi Gostev, Thank you for the information.