Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lammypie
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Issue backing up to Synology

Post by lammypie »

Scenario is as follows:

My Synology NAS has a folder called pc_backups and has a user called veeam that has read/write access. I installed Veeam Endpoint Backup on my PC, pointed to the folder on my NAS and set it to use the veaam user id. The initial backup completed in a very reasonable time.

Now here is where I'm scratching my head.

I configured Endpoint Backup to:
- perform volume level backups of the System Reserved, C: and D; drives
- still writing to the same folder on my NAS using the same user account
- scheduled it to run at a specific time
- leave the PC running once complete

So here is what happens:
- The PC wakes from sleep
- The backup starts but doesn't seem able to find/access the folder on the NAS
- The PC is put back to sleep
- If I then subsequently log on to the PC, I see the above failed attempt but within a few minutes it retries and succeeds

From what I am seeing it would seem that there are two issues:
- The first is that Endpoint Backup for some reason is unable to see/access the share
- Although set to keep the server running, it would seem that this setting is ignored.

Does anyone have any ideas for where I should look to resolve?

I have included a copy of the backup log if this helps diagnose the issue.

Code: Select all

[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Info     [MAIN-PC] [FC] Creating directory '\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main'
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    Failed to call RPC function 'FcCreateDir'. InParams: '<InputArguments><DirName value="\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main" /></InputArguments>'. 
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    The network path was not found.
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    Cannot create folder. Folder path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main].
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    --tr:FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main].
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    --tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir]. (System.ApplicationException)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at VeeamProxyClient.RegenerateCLRException(exception* excBase)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at VeeamProxyClient.CCliProxyRpcInvoker.DoRpc(String cmdName, String inXml, String& outXml)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.ProxyProvider.CProxyRpcInvoker.Call(String methodName, CProxyInvokeInputArg inputArgs, Boolean secureCall)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    Backup target is not accessible. (System.Exception)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupRepositoryEx.CreateRootDir()
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupRepositoryEx.PrepareBackup(CBackupJob job, Boolean isAdHoc)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupJobTarget..ctor(CBackupJob job, Mode mode, CBackupSession jobSess, IRotatedDriveAlg rotatedDriveAlg, IStopSessionSync sessionControl, ETargetAgentSharingMode agentSharingMode, CRepositoryAccessor repositoryAccessor)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointBackupJobPerformer.Perform()
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    [MAIN-PC] Failed to create directory '\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main' (System.Exception)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.ProxyProvider.CProxyFileCommander.CreateDir(String dirPath)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupRepositoryEx.CreateRootDir()
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    The network path was not found.
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    Cannot create folder. Folder path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main].
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    --tr:FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main].
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    --tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir]. (System.ApplicationException)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at VeeamProxyClient.RegenerateCLRException(exception* excBase)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at VeeamProxyClient.CCliProxyRpcInvoker.DoRpc(String cmdName, String inXml, String& outXml)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       at Veeam.Backup.ProxyProvider.CProxyRpcInvoker.Call(String methodName, CProxyInvokeInputArg inputArgs, Boolean secureCall)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    The network path was not found. (Veeam.Backup.Common.CCppComponentException)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error    Cannot create folder. Folder path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main]. (Veeam.Backup.Common.CCppComponentException)
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       in c++: FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [\\SYNOLOGY\PC_Backups\Antec_Main].
[28.05.2015 21:00:05] <01> Error       in c++: Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir].
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Issue backing up to Synology

Post by Dima P. »

Hello lammypie,
Have you opened a support case thru the control panel? We might need all the applications logs for investigation purposes. Also could you clarify – are you able to maunally complete the backup to the said share? Thanks.
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

Hi Dima,

Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't opened a support case as yet but will do based upon your suggestion. As for the backup, the scheduled backup does end up completing, but only once a user has logged onto the PC. Manually triggered backups do not seem to have any problems and run to completion every time.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Not to jump on top of Veeam support, but this sounds like your network card is not waking from sleep with your PC. Maybe you could try and set the power settings to not sleep the network card. Ive seen issues like this with Intel chipped network cards and Windows 8.1 / 2012 (R2). Just a thought.

Cheers
VMCE v9
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

Support case 00929814 now opened.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the case ID – I’ve forwarded it to QA department.

I agree with Jax, because similar behavior was previously reported in the other thread (as a feature request, though) - unless the NAS device was in the power saving mode it could not be reached by any other software. Please, check your Synology settings while QA is checking your logs. Thanks.
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

Thanks Dima/Jax. I do indeed have an Intel 82579v chipped network card in my PC and have disabled any power saving mode through the registry to see if that changes things. As for the Synology, apart from the disks hibernating after 20 mins of inactivity, there are no other power saving modes set.

I will now test and provide an update.
Regards
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

After making the modifications as advised nothing has changed. Still having the same issue where it doesn't seem to be able to find the folder on the NAS and within a few seconds returns the PC to sleep even though I have asked to keep the PC running.

I feel that there is more than one issue here.
Firstly, upon the first failure (not being able to find the NAS folder), the PC is put to sleep. The PC should not be put back to sleep.
Secondly, why is the application not trying to access the NAS share for the second and third time before giving up?
Thirdly, I am wondering if things are running a little too quickly. It would seem that literally within 2 seconds of the PC waking up, it has performed the first pass, failed and put the PC back to sleep.
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

It would seem that I have a work around until a more permanent solution is found.

If I amend the power settings in the registry entry a change the value for AcSettingIndex from the default 120 (2 mins) to 1800 (30 mins) and then introduce a task to wake up the computer 5 mins prior to the backup this seems to be enough to ensure that the backup succeeds.

My previous backup methods of using Microsoft Backup, Windows Home Server v1, Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Server 2012 Storage Essentials don't however suffer from this issue problem.
justingoldberg
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

This is a bit offtopic, but I have a customer with a windows 7 as the smb client and a 2008 r2 as the server. For some reason when his computer boots the drives are inaccessible for about two minutes after booting. Then he has to open explorer and click the drives. If we script launching this, then we'll receive phone calls asking about why those windows were open, and I haven't figured out a way to script in powershell the following things:

launching explorer
clicking each drive
closing any open explorer windows
--
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

I don't think what you have just explained is off topic at all. I believe the underlying issue is related to timing of the backup but will await the findings of the QA department.

As for your specific issue, have you tried using batch files as they should be able to do what you need without the burden of a gui to close afterwards.
justingoldberg
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

lammypie wrote:I don't think what you have just explained is off topic at all. I believe the underlying issue is related to timing of the backup but will await the findings of the QA department.

As for your specific issue, have you tried using batch files as they should be able to do what you need without the burden of a gui to close afterwards.
In this case the customer is not using Veeam, but it seemed similar to the issue above. But I will try a batch file fix.
--
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi lammypie,
It’s a quick follow up – the logs are still under investigation. I’ll follow up again as soon as hear back anything, thank you for your patience.
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie » 2 people like this post

Hi Dima,

A quick update to let you know that my "temporary fix" still seems to be working. Is there any update on your investigation?

For anyone in a similar situation To confirm amend the power settings in the registry entry a change the value for AcSettingIndex from the default 120 (2 mins) to 1800 (30 mins) and then introduce a task to wake up the computer 5 mins prior to the backup starting. The location of the power settings in the registry is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues

Within this folder are:

Balanced: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
High Performance: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Power Saver: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

I have changed all in my instance although my power scheme is set to "Balanced".

Hope this helps
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi lammypie,

I happy to hear this solution works, however, it’s strange why adjusting the power saving options on source instead of target NAS helps. I am sorry for delay - still waiting for a reply from QA team, will poke them regarding your case today.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi lammypie,
We finished the case investigation and here is what happens according to the logs:

1.PC is booted from sleep
2.Retry starts
3.The network adapter is still down (possibly some delay after waking up the machine)
4.Job fails and set itself for a next retry
5.Repeat from 1

The solution might be to increase the wake up timers to more than 10 minutes (same as you posted before) – it should be enough for an OS to bring a network adapter up during two retry cycles. In addition you might what to investigate why the network adapter is being so irresponsive but that’s might be a hardware issue. Thanks for reporting this interesting issue we had a great time drilling the logs :mrgreen:
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

Hi Dima,

Thank you for the explanation. I agree with you that there seems to be some delay with some aspect of the machine following the wake up from sleep which is causing the job to fail. As I am experiencing this issue on multiple different hardware PCs all running Windows 7, I am at a loss as to what is causing the issue. Even switching off the power saving element of the network card hasn't fixed. So using the work around is all I have at present and although not ideal, it is a usable option.

That being said, I have been searching the web and found a similar topic which describes the exact same situation but with a different product storagecraft.com/support/forum/best-way-wake-computer-sleeping-run-backup#comment-34489. In this topic, garryggreen explains that the problem is as a result of the application not keeping windows awake once it has been woken up. Could this be the same here?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

We can’t keep the application awake once the retry failed but during the backup process we do :wink: I believe, adjusting the power plan’s 'sleep after' and 'hibernate after' timers to longer than 10 minutes might be a better idea than fighting with hardware drivers.

P.S. I am sorry - I have to remove the link since it is pointed to the competitive website.
lammypie
Influencer

Post by lammypie »

Thanks and apologies for the link.

If I could make a comment though, it would seem that the application only checks the once before the PC goes back to sleep. Wouldn't it be prudent to keep the PC awake to allow the retry for the 2nd and 3rd times prior to giving up? Just a thought and not a necessity as there are workarounds :)

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Wouldn't it be prudent to keep the PC awake to allow the retry for the 2nd and 3rd times prior to giving up?
It’s possible only while the app is doing something – otherwise OS will fall to sleep anyway. By the way don’t forget about the tablets and laptop users: any 'dirty hack' with the sleep timers might drain the battery really quick.