Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Makuren
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Whear

A question about Veeam Endpoint Backup and viruses.

Post by Makuren » 1 person likes this post

Hey everyone,

I have some questions that could use some clarification.

I read that if you delete an incremental partition you would have to delete the entire chain and start over. I am curious:

Lets say a computer has a 7 day backup chain with Veeam Endpoint Backup. A virus hops on board the PC and it isn't detected for 2 days. Would it be saved in those two incremental files?

Also, lets say we can't clean the virus and have to do a full restore. I choose to restore the computer from 4 days ago before the virus infected the PC. Once the restore is complete, could I manually delete the incremental files after that point and continue to use the same backup chain? Or do I have to delete everything and create a new full backup + incremental because I deleted the compromised incremental files?

If it's unclear, let me know. :)

Jason
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: A question about Veeam Endpoint Backup and viruses.

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Jason,

These are good questions. May I ask you where did you read that you have to delete the entire chain and start over if you delete an incremental partition?

If you have a virus it will be stored in that first incremental backup when you do entire or volume pc backup since you are doing block-level changes. Will it be changed in the 2nd day of incremental? Not sure, depending on what the virus is doing and whether things are changing. So that will depend on the virus and its characteristics.

Now when you restore to 4 days before. What will happen is that your pc comes back online, and you will NOT need to take a new full backup but it will be a new incremental from the previous point since we will detect that, so even if you delete all other incrementals after that restore date, there will be no problem and it will continue doing its job.

Hope it helps

Mike