Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tcogghe1976
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Cogghe

Feature request: tapeloader partitioning

Post by tcogghe1976 » 1 person likes this post

Something that exists in *gasp* Backup Exec but is missing from Veeam is the ability to partition a tapeloader. Not all loaders support partitioning in hardware and doing it in software is easier regardless. Why partition a loader? It's easy to replace tapes. You don't have to check numbers or barcodes, just replace tape in slot x and y because you know that that is for example your monthly backup. It's also easy to let basically anyone replace tapes. A mailslot isn't an option if your backup needs more than one tape. Please add this functionality to Veeam B&R, it'll make life easier.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: tapeloader partitioning

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Tom,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The said functionality is in long term feature list, so thanks for bringing it up and providing the valid explanation. Cheers!
tcogghe1976
Influencer

Post by tcogghe1976 »

Long term = v9 ? (thinking like a fish here ;-) )
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nope, the said functionality is not included there being superseded by more demanded ones.
tcogghe1976
Influencer

Post by tcogghe1976 »

That's a shame because it really detracts from the functionality of using a tapeloader. I've got a feeling tape support in Veeam B&R was included to mark a checkbox and little more :-(
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Tom,

You will be surprised if compare the functionality and performance from the time tape support was introduced (v7) and now (and, I hope, even more surprised when v9 will be released). :wink:
tcogghe1976
Influencer

Post by tcogghe1976 »

Dima P. wrote:Tom,

You will be surprised if compare the functionality and performance from the time tape support was introduced (v7) and now (and, I hope, even more surprised when v9 will be released). :wink:
I've upgraded a customer to v9 but alas, still no way to partition a tape loader within Veeam Backup instead of relying on partitions created on the tapeloader itself. It would be so incredibly useful to be able to determine where my weekly, monthly, ... and cleaning tapes end up in the loader. Now, I'm never certain which makes changing tapes a burden. Mail slot is not an option since the loaders we typically sell have only a single tape mail slot but full backups usually require 2 tapes.