Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ara686
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jiří Arazim

Feature Request - More detailed schedule and backup through

Post by ara686 »

Hello to All,

For the first time, thank you for perfect product.

For some reason will be good if we can setup schedule daily in specific day (Mon - Fri) (Sat - Sun) or selective per day.
Why? If user work on notebook per work days is not problem (backup to the NAS is not problem), but if work at weekends with VPN through internet, there is problem with backup size and speed on internet connectivity or metered connectivity.

Similar problem is in, when setup backup by events "At locks", because user is at home/internet through VPN (there we need setup days and hours when can do backup)

Some simple feature: Simple pause backup by quick select after click on tray icons (or pause for specific time: 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, ...). Maybe if user is in abroad and backup is not possible, because metered connection, ...

Some remark: If I ran full backup I see how many GB were backuped, that is nice.
12.12.2014 7:21:06 :: (C:) (118,5 GB) 81,1 GB read at 77 MB/s
There maybe better show used size than size of volume - we can compare how many GB remains to backup.

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - More detailed schedule and backup thro

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to Veeam forums!
For some reason will be good if we can setup schedule daily in specific day (Mon - Fri) (Sat - Sun) or selective per day.
Why? If user work on notebook per work days is not problem (backup to the NAS is not problem), but if work at weekends with VPN through internet, there is problem with backup size and speed on internet connectivity or metered connectivity.
Thank you for describing your personal use case. We are carefully collect all the feedback regarding the existing scheduling options, so we could possibly enhance them in next releases.
Some simple feature: Simple pause backup by quick select after click on tray icons (or pause for specific time: 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, ...). Maybe if user is in abroad and backup is not possible, because metered connection, ...
You mean pause the running backup job or pause the existing schedule? The second option is available in the Control Panel > Settings > Disable scheduled backups
There maybe better show used size than size of volume - we can compare how many GB remains to backup.
That would not be fair as during backup, agent has to read even free space and this affects the overall processing time. In contrast to our competition our statistic is fair :mrgreen:
vII
Veeam Software

Post by vII » 1 person likes this post

agent has to read even free space and this affects the overall processing time
Dima, agent ignores free blocks (or at least tries to)
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Thank you for describing your personal use case. We are carefully collect all the feedback regarding the existing scheduling options, so we could possibly enhance them in next releases.
Thank you, that will be perfect.
mean pause the running backup job or pause the existing schedule? The second option is available in the Control Panel > Settings > Disable scheduled backups
I think disable scheduled backup.
I know that can disable in control panel, but i think better it will direct access from icon in tray (with options for specific time) and may by change icons with small icon with pause.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiří,
Thank you, you request noted!
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

d.popov wrote:Jiří,
Thank you, you request noted!
Thank you.
When we can look forward to the next beta version?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiří,
Unfortunately there is no ETA at the moment.
agossett
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Gossett

Post by agossett »

Being able to "check" which days to backup would be a pretty good idea. For example with VBR I can select which days of the week I want the backup to run and just "check" those days off. Most of our user's take there computers home over the weekend and would not have access to a shared folder during that time so it would be pointless to have the backup try and run.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Thanks – noted. By the way you can use when backup target is connected backup event for such case in conjunction with daily schedule.
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Hello,

I am too for selecting day for backup.
Because for example if on Sunday am on metered connection and connecting by VPN to work, backup was run (I have selected "Disable backup over metered connection").
I tested on latest version.

Regards

Jiri
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If I am not mistaken you can add VPN to metered connections via windows tools (starting from win 8.x)?
agossett
Enthusiast

Post by agossett »

Ah okay,

The way that I read the little info tag with that check box is that it will run how ever X amount of time you select in the back up no more then X amount of time.

So I am guessing that since I have it set to run everyday at 11:30 am and now have the run when target is connected check it will still only run once a day, correct?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

run everyday at 11:30 am and now have the run when target is connected check it will still only run once a day, correct?
If you set the ' backup now more often than X ' option to 1 day - then yes
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Dima P. wrote:If I am not mistaken you can add VPN to metered connections via windows tools (starting from win 8.x)?
Hello,

I have a Win 8.1 and for VPN connection a cannot setup metered connection.

Regards

Jiri
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiri,
I am sorry, I was not clear. You can add network, which is used for VPN, to the metered connection. I know there are several limitations, for instance you can’t add some Wi-Fi networks or Ethernet connections.
agossett
Enthusiast

Post by agossett »

Dima P. wrote: If you set the ' backup now more often than X ' option to 1 day - then yes

Hi Dima,

So I have it set up exactly like this but now it wants to run as soon as i get into work in the morning and get connected to the network which means that now it will not run at the scheduled time of 11:30am. Any thoughts or is that normal behavior?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Adam,

That seems like correct behavior. You have a schedule that gives you a backup on an event (the connection) and a schedule (11.30 am). You also have the X option set to 1 day. So from the moment the last backup is 1 day and 1 second ;-) old, the first next trigger of the two (the connection or the schedule) will kick in and do the backup.

Makes sense?

Mike
agossett
Enthusiast

Post by agossett »

Mike,

I did not think about setting that option to 1 day.

Now My question/concern is that with the schedule configured to run at 11:30 am every day but only when that connection is available, what happens after the weekend when that connection is not available. I am assuming that then I come in on Monday morning at 7:30 am that the job will run immediately as it would be long past the X option and from there on out would keep running at 7:30 am, correct?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Adam,

Yes, the backup would indeed run at that morning because of the connect. And then I assume the same will happen the day afterwards when you arrive at 7.30 again. Your scenario is indeed not that simple (but I do admit it gives me ideas for working on schedules :-))

Mike
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Dima P. wrote:Jiri,
I am sorry, I was not clear. You can add network, which is used for VPN, to the metered connection. I know there are several limitations, for instance you can’t add some Wi-Fi networks or Ethernet connections.
Hello,

the connection "Wifi" i have marked as metered, but over VPN backup was done.

Regards

Jiri
agossett
Enthusiast

Post by agossett »

Mike,

I am so glad that made since when I typed it all out haha! Truthfully I can think of 2 ways that might be pretty simple to implement and people would/could/should easily understand, 1st would be a simple check which days you want this to run just like with VBR since that works great or you could maybe have a drop down list that has a few options (run weekdays, run weekends, every second Tuesday, every 1st and 15th) something like that.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiri,
May I ask you to open a support case and post here the case ID - eager to check the application logs.

Adam,
VBR user spotted :mrgreen:
agossett
Enthusiast

Post by agossett » 1 person likes this post

Definitely, Love the product. It's why I was excited to try out VEB!

I think i mentioned it before but just in case, I am willing to be a bit of a guinea pig if you ever need some real world testing.
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Dima P. wrote:Jiri,
May I ask you to open a support case and post here the case ID - eager to check the application logs.
Hello,

I open Case # 00889818

Regards

Jiri
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiri,
Thanks, forwarded to QA team for investigation.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jiri,
Follow up: QA team has reviewed your logs and now they want to ask you to run a few tests with support team. Do not forget to update this thread with the received results.
Cheers!
ara686
Influencer

Post by ara686 »

Hello,

the case was solved.
There was some differences between RC and RTM.
"when you were using RC Build 1921 metered connection works only for 'when backup target is connected' schedule that why you`ve got your issue. Now in release build Veeam EndPoint metered connection works for all type of scheduled events"

Regards

Jiri
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jiri,
QA team has confirmed your issue is related to the older build. Thanks for the update!
rereduck
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Backup more than daily

Post by rereduck » 1 person likes this post

Hello All,

First I'd like to say that I'm trying Veeam Endpoint on many PC that I cannot virtualize with my my Veeam Backup repository (since patch 2 release) and it works very well and very fast ! Great product for a V1 :)

Now I would like to know if is it possible to schedule a backup more than daily ? If not, is it planned to do so in future releases ?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Re: Backup more than daily

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

Yes you can by combining different events together. This is probably not completely what you seek but it is work-around for now. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that when you combine triggers and the daily together, that you need to set the "backup no more often than xxx hours" lower. But when you look at the triggers, you will notice that they are specifically written for endpoints and not for servers, and I assume from what you have written above that you are more looking into servers ;-)

So please let us know what you are exactly looking for and if you want triggers or simply a schedule that allows a backup every 6 hours or something...

Thanks

Mike