PowerShell script exchange
ParodyBit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raymond Herman

PowerShell Snapin Won't Install v.8 - 00952518

Post by ParodyBit »

I'm having difficulty getting PowerShell to install properly on a new v. 8 box.
I've tried the initial Google-fu steps:
1) I've seen KB1489 - it only installs the esoteric snapin/modules for HP compatibility
2) tried running the ps1 VeeamToolkit script -- that won't run, there's some error in line 65 that I can't work out
3) the Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.InstallLog -- contains information pointing to difficulty loading some dll files (I can post it if you think it helpful)

Environmental or other considerations:
1) new, physical 2012 R2
2) Veeam (trial license) v.8 (8.0.0.2021)
- this is an install in preparation of moving from VM v.7 to physical v.8
3) native PowerShell = v4
- my v.7 works fine and is PoSh v2
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: PowerShell Snapin Won't Install v.8 - 00952518

Post by veremin »

What particular error you get while trying to install PS snap-in via setup wizard?
ParodyBit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raymond Herman

Post by ParodyBit »

Short Story: I was running v8 update 2. Needed to update to v8 2b.

Long Story: When trying to load the VBR SnapIn aka " add-pssnapin VeeamPSSnapin "
I received an error message ( I don't have the exact wording ) that the snapin could not be found.

I ran " Get-PSSnapin -Registered " and there was no VeeamPSSnapIN (only the HP and NetApp).
I confirmed by checking the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>PowerShell>1>PowerShellSnapIns>
--Under PowerShellSnapIns there should be these 4; the "..." all start with "VeeamPSSnapIn"
{VeeamPSSnapIn; ...Plugin.Hp3PAR; ...Plugin.HpP4k; & ...Plugin.NetApp }

There was no "VeeamPSSnapIn" by itself.

The Veeam Engineer suggested these steps:

"After installing PowerShell using the steps in http://www.veeam.com/kb1489, please install the latest patch for Veeam even if you've already installed it. This is because the patch also updates PowerShell. You can download the patch here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2024"

That is exactly what I did; I was running update 2 (8.0.0.2021); after updating to 2b, (8.0.0.2030) then reapplying KB1489, I refreshed the registry and VeeamPSSnapIn "magically" appeared.

BTW - if that still does not work it is recommended to run the "Install-VeeamToolkit.ps1" script under C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup on the Veeam server.

I re-ran "Get-PSSnapin -Registered" and it confirmed the snapin was present; I also ran a simple cmdlet to test it; "Get-VBRJob", intelisence/Tab-complete picked up on it and it ran perfectly.

Thanks and hope this helps any others running fresh v8 update 2 installs.
toocanad
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: TC

Post by toocanad » 1 person likes this post

Took it a little further. Installed MS Management objects 4.0 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40855.
This didn't work.
Rebooted, then reinstalled patch 3. Rebooted. All was then good.