Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DarrenToews
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Unable to add 3Par into Storage Infrastructure

Post by DarrenToews » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me a hand with this ongoing issue.

I have 2 datacenters. Our production storage in each site is a 3Par 7200C (newly released as of Nov. 2014), our main datacenter 7200C is fiber channel. Our secondary datacenter has an iSCSI 7200C. We're running Veeam B&R 8.0.0.2030 at both sites.

Each 3Par has a Linux based VSP which hosts the web services api (among other things). If I putty to this VSP, I can log in with my credentials and verify that webservices API is enabled on ports 8008 and 8080. However, when I try to add the 3Par through the Veeam wizard, I first get a security message askng me if I want to accept the ssh key fingerprint, so it appears that I can communicate to the 3Par. I select Yes, and then immediately I get an authentication error: "Failed to connect to host <hostname> login <username> user authentication failed. Failed to login to host <hostname> port 22, user <username>, elevation to root:'no', autosudo:no, auth type: 'KeyboardInteractive'. User authentication failed.

I can SSH via putty to the VSP and login with the same credentials, so I know that port 22 is open and the credentials are valid. My network team has checked and rechecked the ACLs to ensure that port 8080, 8008 and 22 are all open. Our HP support tech has disabled the onboard firewall on the 3Par, so there should be nothing blocking communications, however I can't telnet to 8080 or 8008. I can telnet to 22, so it almost seems as though the 3Par is not listening on either of those ports, but as above, I've verified by running the showwsapi command that web services is enabled, so it should be listening.

I've also had the HP support tech check to ensure that clear text passwords are allowed on the 3Par as per http://www.veeam.com/kb1512 (this is the exact error message I get). HP verified that clear text passwords are permitted.

I've enlisted both HP and Veeam support on this (Veeam Case# is 00922688) and so far we've been unable to resolve this issue ... it's been a month since I logged the issue with both HP and Veeam.

I get this same error with both 3Par systems (iSCSI and FC).

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Darren
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Re: Unable to add 3Par into Storage Infrastructure

Post by emachabert » 1 person likes this post

I don't get what you did, because you are saying you tried to connect to the service processor (VSP), you should connect to the 3Par Array directy, not the service processor !
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, you should directly connect to the 3PAR. Maybe you need to use the Management Interface IP instead of the DNS FQDN name.
DarrenToews
Influencer

Post by DarrenToews »

Hi guys,

Thanks for following up. I was told by Veeam support that I need to connect to the server running the web services for the 3Par, which I assumed was the VSP. Are you saying that it's the controllers themselves that I need to connect to? I have 4 IPs that I can use, the Linux based VSP, the Windows based Management server (runs the 3par console app and SSMC) and 2 controllers, each with their own IP. Just want to verify that I should be connecting to one of the controller IPs for this.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, use one of the 3par IPs. B&R will figure out the rest. If needed B&R ask you to enable https service on the 3par, which likely is already enabled in your setup.
DarrenToews
Influencer

Post by DarrenToews » 2 people like this post

This worked! Thanks so much for the help. This has been ongoing for way too long!
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 1 person likes this post

:D If you have two arrays in peer persistence, add both of them to Veeam.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023