Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Configuration Input for Prospective New User (Local Storage)

Post by paallergy »

We're evaluating virtualization, and we're considering using Veeam as part of our backup/recovery setup.
We will have one host running VMware ESXi and three VMs (1 - DC Windows 2008; 2 - SQL Server 2005 on Windows 2003; 3 - Apps on Windows 2008).
There will only be 10 users, so we're looking at putting all three VMs on local storage (RAID 10).
From what I understand I will need an additional VM (for a total of four VMs) running Windows 2008 to run Veeam Backup.
The plan is to use Veeam to backup the three VMs to some local storage, then to use a backup appliance (such as Axcient or Barracuda) to backup the Veeam backups as well as the desktop computers.

I consider the local storage to be a holding place for the Veeam backup files. I'm not counting on that as my backup.
I would honestly prefer to only use a backup appliance. However, from what I've read Veeam provides better VSS support and therefore better backups. I'm also quite interested in SureBackup.

Can I direct Veeam to stage the backups in the Veeam VM?
If so, do I put the Veeam VM on the same RAID 10, or do I add a RAID 1 for the Veeam VM and backups?
Any thing else to consider?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Configuration Input for Prospective New User (Local Storage)

Post by Gostev »

Veeam can run on pretty much any Windows (XP and above), it does not have to be 2008.

Yes, you can store backups on Veeam VM volumes, no problems with this. I don't know if adding extra RAID1 will increase reliability that much. Instead, I would consider getting cheapest NAS (single drive), and copy backup files there for redundancy with script. This would cost about same as extra RAID1. In that case, you will have your backups even if your ESX is fried along with local storage.
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Post by paallergy »

Thanks. The Veeam backup files would be backed up to the backup appliance onsite, and then replicated to offsite hosted storage. I'm reluctant to try NAS at this point because I only have a 100Mpbs network switch. I may add an external USB drive for extra peace of mind.
I was asking about a separate RAID 1 for Veeam more for performance reasons (the backup would read from one set of disks, RAID 10, and write to another set of disks, RAID 1).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Ah, makes sense. With a copy on off-site storage, you are good without additional NAS. Actually, right now there is no way to connect external USB drive to a VM as storage, but I heard this functionality is coming in vSphere 4.1.

High performance on backup storage is not really needed, as data is heavily compressed before it is written into backup file, so Veeam Backup needs to write a fraction of data that it reads.