Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

File to Tape Restoration

Post by sirhideo »

Hello

I have the following relationship between File to Tape job and it's restoration.

1) Daily reverse incremental backup job so every night we have a latest vbk in a CIFS repository.
2) Two Media Pool called SetA and SetB
3) Assign each Pool a tape
4) Have two daily File to Tape job to run at 04:00 and 05:00am
5) In order to prevent tape physical failure, both File to Tape jobs backup exactly same vbk from CIFS repository to both tape inside SetA and SetB pool.

This runs perfectly fine. However, when I exported both tape and try to do a tape restoration, Veeam tells me that the tape label in SetB is required. Well this is fine I can insert it back to the loader and start the restoration process.

My question is that if the tape in SetB has failed, how can I call the tape in SetA which has the exact same vbk of SetB's ?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File to Tape Restoration

Post by veremin »

What is selected as a source for those jobs? A repository folder containing latest full backup? Also, how mediaset and retention settings look like?
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Post by sirhideo »

Ah... I'm terribly sorry, when I have chosen the object to be restored I missed the button "Backup Set" before clicking next...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Indeed, to restore file form particular restore point or file of particular version you should use Backup Set option. Glad to hear you've nailed it. Thanks.