Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
llanglade
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: langlade

VDDK error / max VM per job

Post by llanglade »

Hello

I've configured Veeam to backup many VMs in a single job . I've got a message "Hot add not supported switching to network mode" for all Vms . I've checked the log, found a "VDDK error 3" and a message "directory logs is not empty" . I've found that message in VDDK release notes :

When a backup application uses more than five (5) concurrent processes to back up or restore virtual machines using the HotAdd transport mode, one or more of the operations may fail. Logs will contain errors such as “The directory is not empty” and “Error acquiring instance lock” then “HotAdd ManagerLoop caught an exception.” The workaround is to reduce the number of concurrent backup or restore processes to five (5) or less.

Concurrent job for this proxy/repository is set to 4.

Should I reconfigure jobs to have only few VMs/job if I want to use hot-add/virtual appliance mode to backups my Vms ? what's the best practice if I want to use hot-add / Virtual appliance mode for all my Vms ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: VDDK error / max VM per job

Post by PTide »

Hi,

How many .vmdks do those VMs contain in total?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VDDK error / max VM per job

Post by foggy »

I'd check this article for whatever could apply in your case and contact technical support for review of your setup. Thanks.