Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dwerts1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Werts

Transaction Consistency

Post by dwerts1 »

I'm in the process of deploying Back up and Replication and am having a bit of difficulty getting my head around quiescence. Just as an example, we are running a Document imaging system that consists of two Server 2008 R2 VMs. One runs the application while the other houses the SQL database. It seems clear from the documentation that I can simply enable Application Aware Image Processing for the SQL DB side to get a good image there. What I'm unclear of is what I need to do on the Application server side. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Transaction Consistency

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Daniel,

For any Windows based VM we highly recommend to enable application-aware image processing as well. This will allow you to leverage VSS writers inside the guest OS and will make your backups consistent. What application do you run inside the other VM?

Thank you!
dwerts1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Werts

Post by dwerts1 »

Thanks. The Application is called ImageNow
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can't find any mentioning of VSS writers for this application, but enabling AAIP for this VM is also recommended, as you will get consistency on the file system level at least. Thanks!