Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Planning Migration of Veeam Server to another Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Martin, there are several topics discussed in this thread, so can you please clarify what issue do you have?
rolandk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: RolandK

Post by rolandk »

Hello,

regarding casenumber: 00484000 from "systeembeheerder":

I would also like to migrate our Veeam Server from 2k8r2 to 2k12r2 and sql2012 express - and since that failed for that guy i`m seeking for Information what went wrong and what Needs to be taken into consideration to make such Migration successfull.

could someone give a comment?

thank you !

regards
Roland
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Roland,

Unfortunately, I cannot make sense from that ticket, as the email conversation was done in Dutch. I don't expect any issues with using config export/import option to transfer the data from one server to another. If you're still worried you can deploy new Veeam server, and then import configuration from the old server, without deleting the original server. Just make sure there is no backup activity when you do this.

Thanks!
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

Post by 4c7 »

Hello folks, is there a guide to migrate veeam b&r to another server?
If not, how do I perform this migration?

So apparently this is a thing (http://www.veeam.com/kb1889)
How do I move backup data also? (I mean backup information *.bco)
They are scattered across backup repositories. Some of backup repositories are no longer used to store backup data, but those files are still there. I need to move them so I can delete old servers.
ps. Do I have to install veeam b&r 8 and upgrade it to 2a or is there a separate installer?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

4c7 wrote:Hello folks, is there a guide to migrate veeam b&r to another server?
If not, how do I perform this migration?
You can just use encrypted configuration backup to migrate your Veeam B&R installation to another server.
4c7 wrote:ps. Do I have to install veeam b&r 8 and upgrade it to 2a or is there a separate installer?
There's no separate cumulative installation, you would need to install update upon the basic setup package.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

So I Just use configuration restore shortcut and pass all the data to it?
The problem is some of the data is on the server I'm going to reinstall. What would be the best approach to do so?

I copy the database to the new sql box, I install veeam and point to that sql box, and then I have to do something with backup cfg files (*.bco*?) or what?
Or do I create a configuration export (I have multiple backup repositories, do I have to perform multiple exports?) and it will automatically create a DB for me if I point it to a MS SQL box?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You need to create configuration backup on your existing Veeam B&R server, install Veeam B&R on a new server, and perform configuration import. Please note that backups themselves are not a part of configuration backup, so you need to copy them manually, if required (in this case you would need to change the repositories as well).
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

aha, so I create a configuration backup, install a new server, install new Veeam, patch it to my Veeam level, import configuration, add old backup repositories and it magically works? what about tape? how do I import it back?

Tape library is attached to the server I'm going to reinstall from scratch (I mean windows, not veeam). So the server is going to have a different name (that a company requirement). How do I handle that?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'm not sure regarding old backup repositories - are you going to keep them or copy data to the new ones?

Tape configuration should be also imported, however you would need to run through the configuration wizard for each tape proxy (to change the owner) and then perform catalogization for each library.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

I'm just going to mount the LUN's to the new Veeam server, so I guess I don't need to copy data, right?
Thank for the info on tapes. I have only 1 tape server, so I guess that will be pretty easy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, if repositories preserve their paths/addresses, everything should go smoothly.