Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Effects of encryption on backup performance?

Post by james411 »

Hello all,

Just need some clarity on this, I am wondering about the effects of having Veeam perform encryption on a backup job.

I have a 500gb file server on ESXi host (using local disks) that I just started backing up with Veeam 8 and chose to use Veeam's built-in encryption to make it safe to transfer offsite. 2 things caught my eye:

1) I was a bit disappointed with the deduplication ratio (only 1.2x on the first full backup). Would the encryption option affect this? I assume Veeam would do deduplication and then encrypt that data so it would not, but was hoping for a sure answer.

2) The backup job shows the source as the bottleneck (processing rate of around 60MB/s). I have 2 sql servers being backed up in a separate job on the same host (total size about 250gb) that get a processing rate of around 120MB/s. Is the file server much slower to be processed because of the encryption?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Effects of encryption on backup performance?

Post by foggy »

james411 wrote:1) I was a bit disappointed with the deduplication ratio (only 1.2x on the first full backup). Would the encryption option affect this? I assume Veeam would do deduplication and then encrypt that data so it would not, but was hoping for a sure answer.
Actually, deduplication is not performed if encryption is enabled. The rate you see is due to the "source" part of processing that gets rid of empty blocks, swap file blocks, etc.
james411 wrote:2) The backup job shows the source as the bottleneck (processing rate of around 60MB/s). I have 2 sql servers being backed up in a separate job on the same host (total size about 250gb) that get a processing rate of around 120MB/s. Is the file server much slower to be processed because of the encryption?
Processing rate varies for different VMs, depending on many factors, so this is not a correct comparison.