Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adamuch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam

Win32 error:The network name cannot be found. Code: 67

Post by adamuch »

Hi all,

For the past few weeks one of my 2008 R2 x64 hosts has been experiencing a WARNING -

Code: Select all

'Win32 error:The network name cannot be found. Code: 67' error.

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.16.1.3]. Account: [DOMAIN\Administrator]. Win32 error:The network name cannot be found. Code: 67 '
Failed to index guest file system. Veeam Guest Agent is not started

In the same group - 2 x 2012 hosts and a PfSense firewall are backing up successfully with no issues. Problem seems to be the 2008 R2 x64 box only.

Checked the basics - have disabled UAC, rebooted, upgraded VMware Tools to latest, tried with Windows Firewall OFF and ON (allowing file & printing sharing rules) - no luck fixing it.

From our Veeam server I've run TEST NOW credentials on it and the problem is uploading a Test file share to U:\WINDOWS . This works on our 2012 boxes, but fails on this host.
Here is the error code for more specific:

Testing admin share accessibility via VIX Error:
Cannot upload file to admin share [U:\WINDOWS]. Cannot create folder in guest: [U:\WINDOWS\VeeamGuestHelpersTest]. VIX Error: A file was not found: Code 4
Does anyone have any suggestions on to what the issue could be?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Win32 error:The network name cannot be found. Code: 67

Post by veremin »

What account is being used? Are you positive it has local or domain admin privileges?
adamuch
Novice

Post by adamuch »

v.Eremin wrote:What account is being used? Are you positive it has local or domain admin privileges?

Domain administrator - full administrator across all VM's it's trying to back up.

Like I mentioned in my original post we have 3 VM's in this folder

1 x 2012 AD Server backing up with DOMAIN\administrator - VIX passes OK
1 x 2012 DNS/File Server backing up with DOMAIN\administrator - VIX passes OK
1 x 2008 R2 TS Server backing up with DOMAIN\administrator - VIX fails, and has been for a while

All VM's are on the same domain with same credentials I use to login so the creds are definately correct
Just to be sure I re-entered them again and saved through manage accounts, same issue applies
adamuch
Novice

Post by adamuch »

Opened case #00959962 with server folder logs & guest VIX/helper logs. Cheers
resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Post by resruss » 2 people like this post

I work with OP and managed to resolve this.

In case anyone else stumbles across this, ended up being that U:\WINDOWS was being returned somewhere via VIX API as being admin$ location

This is actually the DOMAIN\administrator's home directory mapping, which contains a WINDOWS folder (it's a 2012 RDS role).

So the workaround was to add LOCAL\administrator credentials for that VM in the job only, which is able to connect to the admin$ share.

If anyone at Veeam can look into why this is happening, or post a KB about it, it'd be appreciated, I'm surprised we went through red herrings like disabling / enabling IPv6, toggling UAC on/off, etc before looking into this specific message to be honest.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks, I will send this info to our support team.