Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Data Domain CIFS to Data Domain DD Boost

Post by jadams159 »

Looking for Veeam's recommendations on how to migrate from backing up to Data Domain CIFS repos to Data Domain Boost repos. Many Veeam users have been using CIFS presented from Data Domain and have now bought DD Boost licensing.

Can existing backup chains be migrated to DD Boost repos leveraging fastcopy commands? Or do chains have to be recreated in the DD Boost repo?

Can existing jobs just be redirected DD Boost repos? Or do jobs have to be created from scratch?

IF we can reuse jobs or data on new DD Boost repos, how does that affect existing backup copy jobs?

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Data Domain CIFS to Data Domain DD Boost

Post by PTide »

Hi Justin,

I think this topic has already been discussed here. Please take a look.

Should you have any further questions - please post them here.

Thank you.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

So there isn't a way to migrate the backup chains? I read through all 4 pages of that post and it seems that it just got turned into a poor DD Boost performance thread. I didn't see anything about a confirmed way to get Veeam backups from a DD CIFS share to a DD Boost repo.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Well, let's put it simple:
Can existing backup chains be migrated to DD Boost repos leveraging fastcopy commands? Or do chains have to be recreated in the DD Boost repo?
In order to make your backup job work your new repo has to contain the whole chain: .vbk + all .vibs (.vbrs).

Typical procedure to accomplish that is:

- Remove from Backups (do NOT delete)
- Move/Copy the files to the new repository
- Right click the repository -> Rescan Repository
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository and map the job to the existing backup files

I'm not a pro in EMC thus cannot tell you for sure but, as far as I know, fastcopy heavily uses pointers. That makes me suspect that it's not truly "copying".

However, if DD Fastcopy can copy files then Veeam backup chain files can be copied like any other file, otherwise you cannot use it to move the chain. Anyway, I'd better check with the vendor.
Can existing jobs just be redirected DD Boost repos? Or do jobs have to be created from scratch?
Yes, you can redirect the job. Please see above (Typical procedure)
IF we can reuse jobs or data on new DD Boost repos, how does that affect existing backup copy jobs?
If your BCJ is configured to use your backup job as a source then nothing's gonna change. If your BCJ is configured to use your backups as a source, then you'll have to remap it in quite the same manner as your backup job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

PTide,

I appreciate your attempt to help out, but I'm aware how to normally move backup chains. This question is specific to new DD Boost repositories, and old Veeam backups that were NOT using DD Boost repos. If you don't have any experience with DD Boost then please refrain from adding content that doesn't solve the question at hand.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

I'm really hoping someone from Veeam can just tell me one way or the other OR if someone out there has successfully moved old backup chains to new DD Boost repos, then please chime in.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Sorry for misunderstanding Justin,
This question is specific to new DD Boost repositories, and old Veeam backups that were NOT using DD Boost repos.
Please refer to this article:
Due to DataDomain architectural limitation you cannot enable DD Boost on existing storage unit that's why you need to create a new storage unit. There is no instruments to migrate files from one storage units to another.