Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ArcaneGlyph
Novice
Liked: never

Tapes Newb - Powervault 124t Questions

Post by ArcaneGlyph »

I have been dubbed the backup guy at work.
So I am now trying to pick up where our 3rd party company left off and finish a migration from various backup methods (win server, exec 2010, veeam, sql) into what I am hoping will end up as just veeam, veeam endpoint and veeam explorer.
Currently we have a physical box (2008 R2) with BUE 2010 with a powervault 124t tape drive attached.
BUE grabs our veeam box & stores and dumps that to tape once a week with no issues.
I would like to boot BUE out and give Veeam the tape drive while leaving the drive itself attached to the current physical machine.
Veeam is currently on a 2008 r2 vm in vmware in a blade center with no controller for me to attach a tape drive to.

So I guess my first thing I need to know is what driver do I need to be using to connect to the tape drive from veeam?
also because I am a pessimist: How hard is it going to be to roll back to BUE drivers if I have to restore a BUE job in the next 6 months during the transition phase?

(I'm a relative newb, so keep the dots very close together please.)
phil-ch
Novice

Re: Tapes Newb - Powervault 124t Questions

Post by phil-ch »

ArcaneGlyph wrote: So I guess my first thing I need to know is what driver do I need to be using to connect to the tape drive from veeam?
also because I am a pessimist: How hard is it going to be to roll back to BUE drivers if I have to restore a BUE job in the next 6 months during the transition phase?
Hi
Use the original driver of the vendor (Dell in this case). You also should make sure that no leftovers of the BE are running.
As you wrote in case of restore you need to reinstall the BE drivers and delete it afterwards. Easier would it be with separate hardware.
ArcaneGlyph
Novice

Post by ArcaneGlyph »

I wish we could afford new anything at work. As it stands I will have to make do.

Thanks for the reply!
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Post by sbbots »

ArcaneGlyph wrote:I wish we could afford new anything at work. As it stands I will have to make do.
Welcome to the club :cry:

Our Dell tape drives have never shipped with drivers. We use the generic Microsoft drivers (installs as "IBM Ultrium SCSI") and we haven't had any issues whatsoever.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »