Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
JoeO
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joseph Ostreicher

New Hardware Report

Post by JoeO »

With the all the glory about Veeam one. I'm looking for a very simple report, and im for some reason having a hard time finding one. I must be missing something. I need to replace my existing hyper-v host with new hardware. What specs do i need?

To start with the basics, I need the following (returning data from a week and/or 24 hours):

Disk:
1) Total IOPS across all disks (95% and 99%)
2) Avg Mb/s read/written across all disks

Cpu:
1) Total/Avg guest run time across all VMs (in other words, what processor do i need)

Network:
1) Total/Avg Mbps sent/received across all VMs
2) Total/Avg packets sent/sec received/sec
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New Hardware Report

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joseph,

In order to do that you can use these reports:

1. Deployment projects. In this report you can remove the hosts you want to replace from the scope and check what resources will you need for the new hardware.
2. Datastore Performance and Datastore Performance Assessment. These reports will show how much IOPs you're currently consuming, so that you could plan the purchase of the new storage device.
3. Host Performance. Use this report to review your CPU usage on the host you want to upgrade.
4. Multiple Clusters Performance. If you want to upgrade the entire cluster, then this report will give you the details about hosts performance, including network data transfer stats.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Joseph,
There are 2 reports I`d suggest:
A predefined Host Performance report providing an overview of hardware resource consumption for the selected host.
And the VMware Custom Performance report where you can choose desired metrics to observe. Thanks!
JoeO
Novice

Post by JoeO »

Hi,

Thank you both for your reply. Those reports you guys mentioned are for VMware, i have hyper-v
JoeO
Novice

Post by JoeO »

I started gathering the stats manually. Looking at the disk performance, it doesnt seem to have data on the r/w ratio. Meaning, it only records the total iops (disk/transfers), but not individually number of read/writers. Can I find this info elsewhere within VeeamOne? I could go to the host, and then on the disk tab choose Child VMs >Custom View > and select IOPS - Reads/Sec - Write/Sec. But then how can i export this data (say to a csv, or at least a report)?

JoeO
Novice

Post by JoeO »

Nevermind, i think i figured it out.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

JoeO wrote:Those reports you guys mentioned are for VMware, i have hyper-v
There are analogs for HV:
Hyper-V Custom Performance, Host Performance, Deployment Projects, etc.
Thanks!