Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Reducing restore points

Post by Morgenstern72 »

I reduced the restore points of a file server (VMWare VM, 2012 R2 server) from 60 to 54 to get rid of an old full backup.
It was planned to have only 2 fulls, once every month. But the first full was created on 13.5. while the following two were created on first monday of a month.

Reducing to 54 did not remove the first full. Now I am running out of space on my backup repo (the file server has two 10TB disks). How can I get rid of the first full (and all incremental following up to the next full) without deleting everything on disk?
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Re: Reducing restore points

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Also reducing to 35 restore points (thats the last full before this months full) did not remove anything on disk.
Only 450GB left of a 80TB repo :(
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Joachim, what kind of job it is (forward incremental backup job?) and how it is scheduled?
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Incremental forever, active full monthly first monday
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Well, if active fulls are enabled, then you have simple forward incremental, not forever forward. To be able to to remove oldest full with its corresponding increments, the job needs to reach the amount of subsequent restore points that meets the configured retention. With your current setup, this should occur right after the next successful job run after setting retention to 35 restore points - did the job run after this configuration change?
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

It did run before. But I started the job afterwards again and still see 59 restore points.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If there're 35 valid restore points on disk created after June, 1st and the job has successfully run with the new retention settings but retention still didn't apply, I recommend contacting support to take a closer look at your setup.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

It just took and while. Now I have 39 and 40 restore points and enough space again.
Thx :)