Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
wilkins44
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jay Wilkins

Possible Tape Schedule Conflict

Post by wilkins44 »

I saw that someone requested the ability to create date exceptions for the tape scheduler out on the forum. I would love for this to happen, and it would solve my problem, but until then, I have to come up with a work around.

In this instance, we are running v7 on patch 4.

At the moment, we’ve got a backup of our repositories that goes to tape and is then sent offsite for 18 months. With our repository offsite now, we want to dial the nightly backups back to weekly. In order to keep things consistent, I want to set up the weekly tape jobs to run on Sunday like the 18 month jobs. Since I can’t exclude the first Sunday of the month, I have to set up a tape job for each repository for each week. A bit of a pain, but things will get easier once date exceptions are an option. My big question is about the scheduler’s option for the “Last” day of the month. Excluding the 18 month job, I’ve got four jobs set up to cover the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and Last Sunday of the month. In the event that the 4th Sunday is the last Sunday, will the Last Sunday job be skipped, and the 4th Sunday job run or will both jobs run?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Possible Tape Schedule Conflict

Post by veremin »

In the event that the 4th Sunday is the last Sunday, will the Last Sunday job be skipped, and the 4th Sunday job run or will both jobs run?
Both will run, unless you manually or automatically (via PS) disable one job or the other. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

wilkins44 wrote:Since I can’t exclude the first Sunday of the month, I have to set up a tape job for each repository for each week. A bit of a pain, but things will get easier once date exceptions are an option.
I believe that can be achieved by means of post-job command. Try to specify there a script checking the if upcoming day of week is the first in a month and skipping the run if so.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to skip the first week of the month? Thanks.
wilkins44
Enthusiast

Post by wilkins44 »

We skip the first week for a tape job that is sent offsite for 18 months. The other weeks are only offsite for two weeks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Got it.
So yes, for now the best way is probably to set pre-job script checking a day of the month.
We are also planning to provide more elegant way for that kind of cases in next versions. Thanks!
wilkins44
Enthusiast

Post by wilkins44 »

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the tape improvements in V9.

What kind of pre-script would you suggest? PowerShell?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, you can convert you powershell script into a batch file or create the .bat file responsible for execution your PowerShell script.
There is a Powershell Subforum where you can find examples discuss details etc.
By the way, why haven`t you upgrade to v8 yet? It`s free of charge for customers on maintenance. Thanks!
wilkins44
Enthusiast

Post by wilkins44 »

We are in the process of upgrading. We've got a new instance of Veeam going in at another location and it's going to be V8. After we get that one up and running, we'll upgrade the V7 instance to V8. I'm looking forward to getting that done.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Great to know!
Just FYI, here is a list of new v8 features.

2 more cents about the workaround with the script, my colleague prompted that it would be better to set the script not as pre-job activity, but as post-job activity and check if the next run is going to be in the first week of a month. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Within the post-job command you will check whether the next run is going to be in the first week of a month. If so, the post-job activity will disable the job. Also, you will have to a post-job command for 18 month offsite job to enable the corresponding job back.
wilkins44
Enthusiast

Post by wilkins44 »

Good to know on the script. Thanks.

I'd like to make a push to move on to V9 a lot faster than how long it's taken us to move to V8.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

It never hurts to be cautious in software world. But providing the version has been around for quite some and several patches/updates have been released for it, it might be time indeed to stick to the latest product version. Thanks.