Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Alvi
Influencer
Liked: 10 times

Feature Request: destination SFTP

Post by Alvi »

Dear sirs!

For our field workers Veeam could be a nice Backup solution.
Our problem is: They are outside the company unconnected the whole year (maybe inhouse a day or two).

So they have no connection to our inhouse network especially our Veeam server.
They only have a single SSD within their laptops, and a backup destination on the same disk as the source does not make really sense.
They even have no shared folders available.

So there would be an option: They could use SFTP.
So I think it would be a great feature to add SFTP as a possible destination.

Additionally there would come a litte problem: Sometimes they are only connected to the internet via small bandwith (UMTS or even worse EDGE).
So there should be an option to check the bandwith of the connection and only start a backup periodically when connected to the internet at least via WLAN or LAN connections...?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: destination SFTP

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

In the current release there is an option called "Disable the backup over metered connection", so I guess it should resolve the issue with the UMTS/EDGE connections. As to the SFTP destination for the backup job, then it is an interesting idea and makes sense in a given environment.

BTW, we already have a technology (Veeam Cloud Connect) that allows sending backups to the offsite location via the secured channel, so I believe if VEB could have an option to send backup to Cloud Connect repository that would also address this feature request.

Thank you!