Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Slower backup copy after migrating vCenter

Post by scidoner »

Hi!

I migrated my vCenter from 5.5 to 6.0 (hosts are still ESXi 5.5). This was done by spinning up vCenter 6.0 on a new VM, then migrating the hosts across.

However now one of my backup copy jobs (offsite job) that uses the WAN accelerator appears as if it is doing a full copy instead of an incremental, and not even sure if the WAN accelerator is working now.

Previously it would take about 5 hours, now its been running for 13 hours and still on the first VM.

Any thoughts here? :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Slower backup copy after migrating vCenter

Post by Gostev »

Hi.

The way you have done the migration, your VMs have been assigned new unique IDs, so Veeam treats them as completely new VMs. Which means it needs to perform full backup of these VMs, and transfer their entire images over WAN with Backup Copy job. Of course, this will take a few times longer than an incremental backup.

To avoid this in future, be sure to perform in-place vCenter upgrade.

Thanks!
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner »

Oh darn. Thanks Gostev :)

That was smart wasn't it by me!!

I figure that the process won't take "as" long as the first time I did the copy because now the WAN accelerator on the target should be populated enough. Is that right?

Also if it takes too long, can I seed it by going to site and copying the most recent backup to the repository and Veeam will "realize" everything is up to date?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

scidoner wrote:I figure that the process won't take "as" long as the first time I did the copy because now the WAN accelerator on the target should be populated enough. Is that right?
The time could be the same, but the amount of traffic should be less if similar blocks are met.
scidoner wrote:Also if it takes too long, can I seed it by going to site and copying the most recent backup to the repository and Veeam will "realize" everything is up to date?
Yes, you can do that, however please keep in mind that digest calculation will still be performed.
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner »

OK, thanks Vitaliy!
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner » 2 people like this post

Thanks guys, working well again.

FYI this is actually over a DSL link (crazy, I know!). 9 VMs in the job and thanks to the bloody WAN accelerator it works REALLY WELL. Hooray for Veeam!